nine - of blood and lust

a/n: cw, slight smut at the end.

december never looked so depressing.

diluc walked through the empty streets with the collar of his coat up, clenching his jaw at not only the cold but at the anger he felt inside of him.

the man furrowed his brows and lowered his sight, walking up the stairs to the entrance of the favonious headquarters. the two knights that stood in front of the large door were about to ask him what his business was, but decided to stop once they realized this was diluc ragnvindr and not just some random person.

diluc was everything but some random person, all the knights knew that. not just because of his current status in mondstadt, but because of his past affiliation with the knights. moreover how respected he was among them. the knights would often talk about how they missed having him as a part of the said knights.

he frowned as he entered the building, heading directly to jeans office and letting himself in. he had his final answer; the final answer to last night's problem; the answer to jean's troubles.

–"i'll do it" he said after walking to her desk.

her blue eyes met his slanted red orbs, and his usually ticked off face now present once again.

–"what are you talking about, diluc?" she asked.

–"i will do the work instead of her"

–"are you sure? i mean, it's not really a one person job-" she played around with the papers on her desk.

–"i don't care, jean. i'll do it instead of her, she's not in the right state to battle against abyss mages such as those," he interrupted her, his hands on the desk, "you heard what albedo said about them, they're not just regular mages"

jean looked at him and nodded in hesitance. she knew this wasn't going to be easy and she knew diluc could get hurt, but she also knew how stubborn diluc was and how he wasn't going to give up so easily.

this moment felt like deja vu for the red haired man. the boiling feeling he had in the pit of his stomach; the room he was in; the way he looked at the person behind the desk. jean wasn't anything close to the man who wanted to brush his father's death under the carpet, diluc knew that, but just the way this room made him feel was enough to bring him back to that day.

an entire day had passed since jean had held that talk with diluc. you recieved the information about him from her when she called you in.

you were still a bit weak from getting knocked out so you had to make sure you weren't doing too much for your body (as the doctor said), though your mind was completely fine. well, as fine as a mind can be when it's racing with thoughts and drowning in anxiety.

amber was nowhere to be seen and you were not only bored, but concerned as well for dilucs safety. you sighed, holding your face in your hands as you slouched over the edge of the table.

there was not much you could do at home, all you could do was wait. it seemed impossible to stay patient when the only person you ever thought about was missing.

you yawned with your eyes threatening to close on their own, feeling your muscles relax by the second. you tapped the surface of the table with your fingers in impatience, dramatically exhaling.

the door behind you opened on its own, and you assumed amber was back so you smiled a bit.

–"hey amber" you said smugly, waiting for her surprised reaction as to how you knew it was her.