148917 times

'Wait but it says-'

'June 6, 1976?'

'Maybe it's an old file...'

'No, it can't be. The ink still relinquishes.'

'You turned it three times, right?'

'Yes, positive...'

They looked at each other in shock. Neither of them said anything, but they both knew what they meant. They had to get back. Hermione gestured Harry to come with her now that she had let go of his wrist. They had to remain under the cloak, if they were seen it would make everything a million times worse. Hermione walked over to madam Pomfrey's desk and took out a quill and a peace of parchment. She started writing down a few numbers and mumbling in herself. Harry didn't know what she was doing. He could see she was calculating something, but what? Harry just gazed at her, then at the parchment, then back at her again, back at the parchment and that went on for about three minutes. Then Hermione looked up.

'I think I got it!'

'Got what?'

But Hermione didn't answer. She pulled Harry out of the office again and into the middle of the hospital wing. They were standing in the same place as they were when Ron was still there, and Dumbledore locked the door.

'If I turn it 148920 times, we should be back at 5 minutes to midnight. So minus three... that would mean...' Hermione mumbled. '148917!'

'148917, what?'

'148917 times!'

'148917 times what?'

'We have to turn the hourglass 148917 time to get back to Hogwarts.'

'We are in Hogwarts.'

Hermione hit him on the head. Harry looked offended but started giggling too.

'You know you deserve that.' Hermione said.

Harry nodded. Hermione took out the long chain again and put it around Harry.

'This is going to take ages, we can't just start counting, that number is way too high.' Harry said as Hermione looked at the hourglass very carefully.

'With magic it won't.' She said. Harry wasn't sure what she meant, but Hermione already took out her wand. She mumbled something inaudible while her wand pointed at the tiny hourglass. It started spinning very fast, but nothing happed. They could still se everything around them very clearly, they didn't have the feeling they were flying backwards, and their ears weren't pounding. They felt normal. As is nothing happened. Nothing did happen. They were just standing there. The hourglass was still spinning, but Harry and Hermione looked at each other.

'What's happening? Why isn't it working?' Harry asked, panicking now.

'I don't know, this never happened before.' Hermione said in a faltering whisper, with a tone of panic too.

The hourglass stopped spinning. Harry tried to get the chain off of his neck, but Hermione slapped his hand away.

'It could be dangerous; I don't know what will happen.'

'You're saying I will be chained to you forever?'

'Don't have to sound so repulsive, and no, I'm not. But you are for now, until we find out if it's safe to take it off, we leave it on.'

Harry scowled, but didn't say anything. They stood there. Neither of them knew what to do now. They couldn't be seen, but they needed help. Hermione was in deep thought when Harry elbowed her in her stomach. She collapsed forward and just saved herself from falling. Her right forearm covered her stomach. She looked sharply at Harry.

'What was that for?' She whisper-shouted fiercely.

'I'm sorry, but I just thought of an solution.' Hermione looked very hopeful but also a bit suspicious at these words. 'Not for getting back, but for finding out what happened.' Harry quickly added at the sight of her expression. Hermione rolled her eyes.

'Well, go on. Tell me!'

'The library. It's not like we're the first generation to have one. We should be able to find something there.' Harry said. Hermione raised her eyebrows.

'How could I be so stupid? Of course! You're a genius, Harry!' At this Harry raised his eyebrows.

'We can't go there in the day. There'll be too many people.' Harry said.

'We could go now; I hardly think anyone would still be there at midnight.' Hermione as she dragged Harry out of the hospital wing again. She spurted down the marble stairs, Harry almost tripped multiple times, and Hermione wasn't covered by the invisibility cloak anymore. They both ran through the deserted corridors. Once at the entrance of the library they both stopped. They stood there, panting, Harry threw the cloak over Hermione's head again.

'We could have been seen, you idiot!' He said. Hermione just rolled her eyes.