Chapter 33

The street lights flickered on as the sun went down around Hillwood, causing all children who were still playing outside to run back into their homes. Many were already inside and awaiting dinner, and this included Arnold.

The dinner table was mostly full and all were awaiting their chef's presence along with the promised food. Once the food was assembled on the table, it only took the sound of the last dish hitting the surface for the boarders to start digging in.

Helga watched awkwardly while the adults filled their plates, then looked across the table at Arnold who seemed to be doing the same. She wondered what exactly the meal was, since all she could really see was it was some type of stew. Next to it, were some grainy looking dinner rolls as well as a plate of seasoned rice.

"Alright already!" Phil shouted at his tenants, while shewing their hands away from the food. "You scavengers act like you haven't eaten in days!" He could hear them grumble but paid no mind, and instead looked at the two young kids and shook his head. "You can't grow unless you eat, so you better grab some food while you can." Then finally looked to his own. "And if you have any intention on eating your own food, you better start serving yourselves first."

The elder's words granted the rest of the table sometime to plate their own food, leaving Helga as the last. She stood up and looked over at the pot, with an arched eyebrow.

"It won't bite." Arnold noted with a smile, as he spooned some of the stew onto his rice. "Just try it."

Skeptical, she looked the contents over again. She could see Stella and Miles eyeing her out of the corner of her eye, so she prepared her plate in the same manner as her peer and sat down.

Eating at Arnold's house always seemed to be an adventure. No dinner was ever the same and more times than not, it had ingredients she had no idea even existed. It was much different from the basic meat and potatoes, basic pasta dish or take out her family usually had... and those were on the good days. Typically, her dinner was cereal or a sandwich unless Olga came over. In fact, Olga usually showcased her extensive culinary prowess and caused her parents to just fawn over her more, causing Helga to hate her food on pure principle. It didn't matter if the food tasted good because it would always taste sour with a mouth full of animosity.

After everyone was done eating, the boarders slowly made their ways out of the dining room, leaving the family to clean up, per usual.

"You go on ahead and take care of your homework, Shortman." Said Phil as he pushed young Arnold out of the dining room, leaving him a bit baffled.

Helga looked between the two and figured it was only best for her to follow suit as it honestly made her uncomfortable to do anything in this house without Arnold nearby.

"Not so fast, little lady." Gertie called to Helga before grabbing onto her arm lightly. "I was hoping we could have a talk before you saddled up back to the ranch."

"Huh?" Helga was startled but had no idea how to handle her situation. Was she in trouble? She looked at Arnold who seemed just as confused as she was.

Gertie let the girl go and only gave a warm smile, while Phil led Arnold away.

"Have a seat..." The old woman said as she gestured to the chair Helga had gotten used to sitting in.

This made Helga want to run away even more, but did as she was told and sat down. A million thoughts flew through her head as she waited patiently for the old woman to get on with whatever it was. She could feel her stomach nervously twitch with every passing second.

Phil managed to make his way back to the dining room, and sat down next to his wife. Moments later, Arnold's parents emerged from the kitchen and did the same.