Chapter 13

The park was warm and inviting; full of life with families all partaking in various events, as well as joggers, dog walkers and friend's playing games. It seemed as though everyone in Hillwood was aware of summer reaching its end and wanted to utilize the little bit of sun they had left.

Standing there awkwardly, Arnold considered his options. Should I start by apologizing again now that we're alone? He thought as he nervously looked up at his companion. She seemed to be quiet and content with their surroundings, which only made Arnold's nerves uneasy even more. Why is she being so quiet? I bet she's waiting for me to say something... But he couldn't think of anything to break the solid slab of ice that he put between them. Looking at her this way only reminded him of that dream he had, had with her in that fine white dress, overlooking the sea. He almost wondered if he was even able to speak to her now, despite this being reality.

"Ummm..." He slowly forced out, partially as a test to make sure he had a voice.

Turning her head slowly, Helga looked down to show him that he had her attention. "We gonna just stand here all afternoon or did you have something in mind for our date?" She asked simply, her tone rather bland.

Swallowing a little, Arnold still hadn't considered what to do next. The term date was so common yet so foreign to the young man. Sure, he knew what at date was. He knew that it was something a couple would do alone in order to get to know each other or just enjoy each other's company in private. He knew the standard dinner and a movie date, as well as sentimental dates like planning a picnic or watching a sunset together until they were surrounded by glittering stars up above... But what was his plan here? Shameful that he hadn't taken the time to organize the date in his head, Arnold scratched his arm and frowned. "I'm sorry, Helga. I guess I didn't really think this one through enough." He confessed. Looking away as to not see her expression, Arnold focused on another couple holding hands and smiling at each other. "I was so focused on that whole photo shoot and making sure everything was done correctly, that I almost forgot about the date in general..."

She could hear how sad his voice was, and although it did sting a little to hear such words, Helga knew his heart was in the right place as were his priorities. "It's... Okay, Arnold." She replied, hoping she didn't sound as disappointed as she sounded to herself. Doing her best to cheer him up, Helga chuckled. "Truth be told, I sorta forgot about it too."

"Really?" Arnold turned around, a little stunned to hear that on account of how excited she had been over the whole idea in general.

Feeling a blush begin to creep over the young girl's face, she quickly shook it away and began to walk in front of him. "Let's get a move on, Football head! Daylight isn't stopping itself for us, Doi." She could feel Arnold hustle on next to her but continued to look ahead. Crap, I gotta stop resorting to my usual tactics... She told herself inside her head, in fear of ruining the date that had barely begun. Just stay calm, Helga old girl. It's not like you guys are alone... in a dark room together, right? It just regular Arnold in the regular park, full of regular people! Nothing out of the ordinary...

Seeing Helga's flustered expression gave Arnold mixed feelings. Was she unhappy? Was she too happy? She was very hard to read. Walking along the path at a casual speed, Arnold took in his surroundings. "It's a nice day out, right?" He asked, damning himself for reverting to small talk.

"Yep." She replied shortly, still refusing to look over at him.

"Birds are singing, sun is shining..." Arnold continued, now letting the nervousness begin to show through his voice.

"What's your point, Arnold?" Helga snapped with a scowl.

Sighing, Arnold shook his head. "I'm not very good at this Helga, could you at least help me out?"