Chapter 3

After Y/N crawled onto the bed, Laura returned. She entered the home and approached her bedroom door, placing her ear against it. She noticed how quiet it was and thought, "They must be done." She smiled, then proceeded to open the door to check on them.

With irritated eyes, I looked up as soon as I heard the door knob jiggle. I saw...Laura...standing by the open door.

"See, it wasn't that bad-"

She shrieked at the sight of the man laying dead on the floor. A large puddle of blood surrounded him, soaking into the fragile wood floor.

"You little bitch! What did you do?!? He's one of my best customers!!!"

She came up to me, pulling me by my hair and smacked me across the face repeatedly. Although the stinging sensation on my face hurt, simultaneously, I hardly felt anything.

After she stopped, she shoved me back onto the bed, glaring at me angrily. She looked at the dead body, scoffed, then left again, storming out of the house.

I slowly got up from her bed and left, returning to my room. I locked the door, then laid down, holding my stomach, and staring off. I started crying again from the recent events.

The way that man touched me.

The way he looked at me.

The fear I felt.

The disgust I felt.

The pain I felt.

The hope I had that my mother would come and rescue me-

Hope.

I kept hoping.

Every time.

But...it didn't work.

It never worked.

"Hope doesn't exist."

I sat up, then looked at myself in a small mirror I had by the door. I had many forming bruises and dry blood on my face and neck. I looked at my hands and saw some bruises on my wrists and cuts on my palms.

I felt more and more tears fall from my face, landing on my bloody hands...but then...they stopped. I couldn't cry anymore. I was done...indefinitely. I was numb. Incapable of feeling anything anymore. All I knew in that moment was that...

"I need to get out. Now."

As soon as the thought crossed her mind, Y/N readied herself to leave. All she took with her was the candy, newspapers, and journal she was given, put on an old cloak she made and walked out.

Y/N wanted to find the girl who comes to visit her, but didn't know where to look. Aside from her, she knew no one.

"I'm on my own. I've always been," she thought.