[15] treacherous

Beatrix pulled her dress on with a huff. The stupid Accords. They were pulling the team apart with no remorse.

Maybe that was the intent. Maybe the government knew that giving the team this ultimatum would pull them apart at the seams. Maybe they wanted the Avengers gone for good.

God, she sounded like one of those crazy government conspiracy people.

"You ready?" Pietro asked and she felt herself relax slightly at the sound of his voice.

She gestured to her back, "Think you could help me out?" He walked over to her and placed one hand on the small of her back before slowly zipping up the dress. "How's Wanda?"

He shrugged, "Not happy."

She frowned, "This whole thing sucks."

"Let's not talk about it," he suggested as he moved her hair out of the way and pressed a kiss to the back of her neck. "We have a party to get to."

They arrived shortly after the start of the event, handing over their tickets and taking in their surroundings. Beatrix had her arm rested in the crook of Pietro's elbow, using her IR scanner to look around the building.

"Anything?" he asked in a quiet voice.

She shook her head, "Nada."

"Hmm," he replied in thought. "I'll be right back."

She nodded before he walked away, making his way to the beverage table. Beatrix stood off to the side as she waited for him to return. She scanned the room, looking for anything off or even for Becker's arrival.

Her eyes landed on the refreshment table where Pietro stood, the all too familiar smirk on his face as he talked to the girl beside him. Beatrix's eyebrows furrowed in thought.

Of course, they didn't have any labels for whatever they were. It was kind of a hard thing to identify. He kissed her. She saved his life. They kissed some more. They work together. They kissed even more. But they had never gone on a date. They had never actually talked about what they were.

She shook her head slightly, dispelling the thoughts from her head. Focus, she scolded herself, you have a job to do. The feeling in her stomach was hard to ignore.

He placed his hand on the girl's arm and Beatrix turned away quickly. No point in torturing herself with the inevitable.

"Care to dance?" someone spoke up and she looked up to see Pietro with his hand outstretched to her.

She rolled her eyes as she placed her hand in his, "Sure you don't want to dance with Barbie?"

He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion as he led them to the dance floor, "Who?"

They turned to face each other, Pietro holding one of her hands as he placed the other hand on her waist. She placed her free hand on his shoulder before explaining, "The girl you were talking to."

"You are jealous," he concluded, an amused expression on his face.

"No," she huffed as she looked around, looking everywhere but him. "You're off task."

"Am I?" he asked as he pulled her closer to him a little. "Because, from what I gathered, she happens to be best friends with Becker's daughter."

Beatrix raised an eyebrow, "And?"

"He's here," he explained, pulling her toward him. "You have nothing to worry about, Princessa," he informed her in a hushed tone, "I am yours just as you are mine. We are all we need."

She ignored the butterflies in her stomach as she cleared her throat, "Focus, Speedy. We have a job to do."

"Again, with the 'Speedy'?" he inquired. "Why can't you think of something cooler?"

"What exactly do you suggest I call you?" she mused. "Hasty? Brisk? Rapid?"

"Hmm," he replied. "It doesn't have to do with my speed, you know."

"But I like Speedy," she shrugged. "Your reaction just makes it so much better."

He narrowed his eyes but said nothing more on the subject, "Do you see anything?"

"No," she answered. "Nothing on my end. You?"

"Would I still be standing here if I had?"

"Are you upset about the nickname thing?"

"No."

"Speedy."

"Really?"

"Aha!" she exclaimed victoriously. She pulled away slightly and patted the side of his face with her hand, "If you can come up with a decent nickname for yourself within the next twenty four hours, I will consider calling you it."

"Really?" he asked again, this time his demeanor far more excited.

She fought down a laugh, "Yes, really."