Prompt 5-Sludge

(TW: mention of corpses, brief gore mention. Proceed with caution, this is a horror prompt)

******

Leaves underneath your feet, the whistling wind whipping through branches overhead. Your breath coming out in pants as you hurry through, your heart beating a rapid staccato in your chest. The rotten sludge crawls slow as a snail towards you, yet never losing pace. It's coming closer, it's putrid scent wafting to your nose. The scent is repugnant, a mix of rotting wood and decaying bear hide. 

Gagging, you attempt to pick up the pace. The sludge has started to gain speed, spreading across the area. No no no no- you will not be taken again, cannot be taken again. Unless you want to end up like them. You gulp, images flashing unbidden through your mind. Half eaten corpses dance along the perimeter of your thoughts, their clouded, unseeing eyes bearing into you. From open mouths crawl fire ants, their skin a mellow red. Blood pools around your ankles as you struggle to walk, setting into your shoes. 

No, it isn't blood. You look down, a stone toppling down in your stomach as you realize...it's the sludge. It caught up to you. You attempt to make a sound, but nothing comes out of your mouth. The goo crawls up your arms, up your torso to your mouth, sucking sounds going more audible by the moment. The last thing you make out is the pale waning shine of the moon before you're sucked down into the ground, any mark you'd made disappeared. As if you had been nothing more than a brief, fever dream, a lone mirage. 

What was that sludge? Why were you running? What happened to the others? How did you end up in this situation? What happens next?