Part 2 of 10 | Oh My God, They Were Business Partners

Friend.

The word feels off, yet he dismisses that feeling when reminded of what it implies.

He wasn't one of those guys.

...Or was he?

Tom sighs and proceeds to wear a jacket for tonight regardless of how little he felt the need for it. He wasn't taking any chances this time, and much less considering it was them who would be singing tonight. The thought of spending another moment together at the beach makes his face warm and his heart race. Those feelings are fluttery enough to make him feel young -- like a teen experiencing their first love.

"Ready to go, Tom?"

His heart takes a leap and he has to gather all the strength necessary in order to not display any shock. He harrumphs, checks himself one final time in the mirror, and turns around, greeted by a smiling face. "Yes," he blurts out, awestruck. He presses his tail against the counter to hide the fact it's wagging just like a puppy's and controls his nose to keep it from twitching like a bunny's. "You look wonderful, by the way," he adds, finally gaining some courage. "The colour compliments you well."

"You think so?" they ask, grinning and doing a full three-sixty to show him their outfit, mainly composed of a sharp-looking (dress/tux) and fitting shoes, both with a colour opposite to their skin tone. An accessory clings onto their head and an umbrella of equal elegance tops off their look, despite mostly being used to shield them from the rain. They close the umbrella and step inside, setting it down next to the terminal when he suggests them to. "I forgot to buy some shoes that matched with my other outfit, so I had to improvise!"

"...You look lovely, still," he mutters, words hardly a whisper and further difficult to hear when thunder crashes nearby.

"What?" they ask, smiling and raising an (in-game non-existent) eyebrow. "I couldn't catch that."

"We should wait until the rain stops a bit more," he says, squinting his eyes to direct a smile back at them. "Would you like to stay for some tea?"

As if jinxing the situation, Tom sees them pull out a napkin and sneeze into it, though it's evident they try not to be caught by him based on how stealthy they are about it. They went as far as to look away and make the sneeze as quiet as possible, amusing to him, but likely not so much to them. Still, he goes in favour of their wishes and doesn't say anything about it. "Sure -- That would be nice."

He nods and gestures for them to follow him over to his desk.

"There's a spare jacket over there," he says, pointing with his eyes and nose to a corner of the room, where a few items lay hanging on the wall. "Feel free to use it if you're cold."

"Thank you."

Though he can't see their face now that he has his back turned to them, Tom feels his chest warm up with the tone they've just used. It's a happy one, with a hint of surprise hidden in it. The thought makes him wonder if he'd caught them by surprise, yet he again reminds himself that he's still their friend -- getting ahead of himself would do him no good.

With that reminder, he goes back to working on the tea.

First, Tom takes the boiling water from the kettle and pours equal amounts on two cups. Then, he takes two tea packets and puts them in, these instantly sending a subtle, herbal aroma in the air. The process is topped off by some honey, a pinch of sugar, and a mint leaf. The scent calms his busy mind a bit, though it doesn't last for long when he takes a quick glance back at the human the moment he hears their footsteps and fabric shift as they slip the jacket on. Rain drops hitting the roof create a lullaby and prompt him to check on how the line for karaoke's going so far. No more than two people can be seen waiting in line: one a villager and the other a tourist. The two entertain themselves through some small talk, but there's no denying by the look on their faces that they're not so hopeful over the rain ceasing anytime soon.

Tom shakes his head and lets out a breath when he realizes he's trying to buy himself time to avoid messing up further around the human. After a whole year of knowing them, it felt strange being alone with them now, as it made him too awkward for his own good. To fight against that, he picks up both tea cups and turns around, almost dropping them when he sees the state they're in.

(Y/N)'s dozed off on his office chair and manages to look peaceful in spite of being in such a cramped space. They have his jacket zipped all the way up, and they have their head tilted to the side, cuddled up against the hoodie as faint snores leave their mouth, chest rising and falling with each one. It's a sight for Tom's sore eyes, but it ends quickly once another thunder crashes -- louder than the first one.

The sound makes them wake up with a jolt and face him with wide eyes. A tired look combined with their shock causes for him to worry over their well-being more than he often did, so he pushes all his doubts aside and approaches them without further hesitation. "Your tea," he says, handing them one of the cups. "It's lemon and orange, with honey and mint." He smiles when they do and tries not to flinch when their fingers graze his hand as they reach for the tea. "Let me know if it needs more sugar."

"Thanks, Tom," they reply, smile brightening. They then set the cup down on the desk and shift in their seat. Steam rises as they watch the cup and a frown manages to show on their face. Their contemplative state lasts until more lightning strikes, snapping them out of their trance. "How long was I out, anyway? The rain's still going strong."

Worried, he sets his own cup of tea down, rummages through his belongings for a mirror, and gives it to them after. "Only ten minutes or so." His hand stiffens when they grab the mirror and he finds it hard to let it go. "I don't mean to pry or intervene in anything personal, but..." He breathes in, closes his eyes, and lets his tension out with a quiet huff. "Have you been getting enough rest lately? You seem... tired today despite it being your turn to sing tonight."

Just when the man thinks he's controlled how awkward he feels around his crush, they smile again and contribute to him breaking the world record for fastest pulse.

"That's precisely why I haven't been able to sleep much these past few days." Their confession's blunt yet serene, allowing his worry to lessen as they continue with, "I practiced for a whole month -- It's... It's a shame I won't be able to sing yet, I'll admit. I've been getting ready for far too long now!"

Fire alarms ring in his mind as an idea surges through all his worries.

"Would you... Would you like to sing for me, then?" he asks, gulping tension away.

Silence stays for some time, a would-be good sign didn't the human look so taken aback by the offer.

"Of- Of course," they blurt out. "I'd love to, business partner!"

• • •

Updates will be twice (or thrice!) a month on Wednesdays from here on out!