CHAPTER IV. Whispers From the Shadows

──────────────────────────

"Now, it is time for the awarding of grimoires!"

Grimoires of diverse shapes and sizes descended from the highest level of the tower, gracefully finding their places on the nearest bookshelves on the lower ground. The array of colors, illuminated by the sunlight above, cast a vibrant spectrum that captivated Xierra more than she anticipated.

Each grimoire found its way into the hands of its destined owner. As they made contact with warm palms, it marked the beginning of a journey into the warmth of the future.

Among them, a grimoire adorned with a three-leaf clover caught the attention of many.

Xierra observed the faint trail of mana left behind by the grimoires as they made their way to their intended bearers. Each glowed with distinct lights, harboring various elemental energies beneath their uniquely carved covers. Her blue eyes blinked in curiosity, taking in the diverse patterns adorning each grimoire. Some showcased vines, others boasted intricate designs surpassing the rest, while a few embraced simplicity.

To claim that the sight lacked beauty would be a blatant falsehood on Xierra's part.

The awestruck children of the church stood as a living testimony to the breathtaking spectacle, a mere visual display of soaring grimoires leaving vibrant trails of colors in their wake.

Even the adults, who had received their grimoires years earlier, remained captivated.

Regardless of how often they witnessed this event, the grimoire awarding ceremony continued to stand out as one of the most transformative experiences in their lives. It radiated a warmth unmatched even by the abundant beauty of Mother Nature, marking a pivotal moment that left an indelible impact.

"This... This is my grimoire!"

"Look, mine's bigger!"

"Don't be so full of yourself. Mine's thicker, hah!"

They playfully bumped heads, bantering about the sizes and thickness of their grimoires. Each one was unique in its own way, they found joy in the diversity of their newly-attained books.

"Yes! Now, I can leave this town and go to the city!" a girl cheered, proudly hoisting her grimoire.

Not far away, another punched the air with a wide grin. "Hell, yeah! I can take over the family's business now!"

While some spoke confidently of their plans, a few hesitated.

"I'll... think about my future after my grimoire has more entries."

As they shared their aspirations, discussed their magical abilities, and outlined their post-grimoire plans, Xierra felt an unprecedented warmth enveloping her. It was a bubbling excitement, a new kind of thrill she had never experienced before.

What was it? She wondered. She didn't dislike it, but it wasn't a feeling she could easily categorize.

It was an odd sensation—one she wished she could decipher.

"Heh, we're going to take the test in six months to join the magic knights," two boisterous boys declared, their intentions ringing loud and clear, capturing the attention of those around. The announcement resonated through the tower, prompting cheers from the assembled crowd.

Becoming a magic knight was a coveted ambition, one of the most crucial and perilous roles in Clover. Joining the ranks of renowned magic knight squads was a goal many aspired to achieve, even if it meant facing the inherent dangers of the job. However, the notion didn't sit comfortably with Xierra. Still, a past promise compelled her to go along with it.