A Meeting in London-Chapter 5.

Sidney walked slowly back towards the luxurious home in Kensington that he shared with Eliza. They had acquired their home almost two years prior following their society wedding in London. Their wedding had been one to rival those of the Ton which was what Eliza desired. She wished for an ostentacious occasion to show all those attending that she was now a member of this most prestigous group.  No expense had been spared on either the wedding, reception or tour.  The wedding ceremony had been held in St. Paul's Cathedral with many of Eliza's friends and acquaintances from the beau monde  in attendance. A family friend had hosted their wedding breakfast in their gracious London  townhouse with its sweeping gardens.

Following their wedding Sidney and Eliza had taken a tour of the Italian lakes staying in charming hotels on this most picturesque route. The beauty of his surroundings did little to  repair Sidney's heart. He wished that that it had been his dear Charlotte that experienced all that the wedding tour had offered. It should have been their tour and not his and Eliza's. He had arranged two bed chambers for their tour however he had shared her chamber as was his duty. His family were anticipating a most joyous event when Eliza would announce that she was increasing.

Sidney hoped that such an event might bring much needed happiness. He could lavish his son or daughter with affection as Eliza showed little affection for him. She rarely held his hand or embraced him on his return.

Eliza was a beautiful woman but there was a froideur to her. She recognised that their marriage was one of business rather than love. She had never declared her love for him as she had married him for status. The marriage arrangement was to save Sanditon and for no other purpose, love did not belong in such an arrangement. He wished for a marriage of love and affection rather than one of business and convenience.

If only his brother Tom had exercised caution in his management of Sanditon. His decision not to purchase insurance for the buildings of Sanditon was utterly foolish.  Why he had not done so was never fully explained.

Following the destructive fire in Sanditon Tom had mumbled something about forgetting to arrange insurance. His omission had destroyed the lives of many within Sanditon.  The workers who had laboured frequently without pay were  without employ and faced destitution.  Mr. Stringer a man who had much vision for Sanditon had lost both his father and his livelihood following the  fire. 

Tom and his family would be destined for the workhouse were it not for Sidney marrying Eliza.  Sidney could not condemn Tom and his family to such a future. Eliza had invited him to meet with her at her London residence where she had suggested a marriage between them to secure Sanditon.

Eliza would provide the much needed capital for Sanditon while Sidney provided her with status. He would accompany her to the various social occasions that she wished to attend and provide her with all that a wealthy husband could. Such trappings included jewellery, clothing, two homes and tours of the continent. He endured many assemblies and balls where he felt to be just another possession of Eliza's rather than a husband. He likened himself to another trinket for Eliza.

His life was one of superficiality and emptiness. He could of course have  taken up with a member of the demimonde however such assignations held little appeal. Such encounters would not appease his broken heart. These would only fulfil physical rather than emotional needs.  He had visited boarding houses in the past with his friends however he did not enjoy such visits.  He respected the sanctity of marriage and would honour his vows. Any visits in the past had left him feeling empty and guilty. 

His visits to Sanditon to see his family were his only respite from misery.  These visits provided him with the affection and contentment that his life with her did not. He welcomed the embraces and smiles from Tom, Mary and their lively children. His heart rose whenever he visited them. Tom was fortunate in having a kind, understanding wife and loving children.  He envied his brother and hoped that he would have such a family however this was not so.