A Meeting in London-Chapter Seven.

Marianne could not believe her eyes, was that not Eliza Campion walking towards their party. She had little affection for that lady. A person of narrow views and attention seeking ways. Her attendances at various occasions in London had shown her to be quite the mercenary, she generally sought out those gentlemen with large fortunes.

Their acquaintance had started when Marianne had been engaged by a friend in London to act as her companion. Marianne was considered to be a spinster being still unmarried at 22. Her family had suggested that she may wish to act as a companion for Ms.Hall for the London season. The Halls and the Heywoods had been family friends for many years.

The Heywoods were a respectable family of average means. Marianne's father was in the navy while her mother managed the household. Her father was frequently aboard ship for part of the year. He was well liked among his fellow sailors and had risen through the ranks. Admiral Heywood had been gifted a modest house in the pretty village of Willingden. An uncle had bequeathed his home to him in his will. Such a bequest was most welcome as he had recently married and was seeking a home. It was such a balm when he returned after many months at sea to be in his home with his wife and family. His happiness was further enhanced by his dear cousin John Heywood who also lived in the village.

John and Robert were more akin to brothers than cousins. They were of a similar disposition and rarely did a disagreement arise. Both cousins had large families with their daughters Marianne and Charlotte being the first born almost five years apart. The girls became fast friends and were rarely seen apart. They shared many common interests including shooting and animal husbandry. Charlotte wished to manage the family farm once her father wished her to do so. Marianne was quite the shot and was invaluable to her family as she frequently shot game for the table.

The girls had been given a perfunctory education however they were encouraged to read as widely as possible. Charlotte was the more curious reader of the two and read on subjects from alchemy to politics. She could converse on any number of unconventional subjects such as architecture and its effect on the soul.
Such unconventional ladies did not attract the usual attention from gentlemen at the local assemblies. They were viewed as outspoken and overly pert by the gentlemen who encountered them. They did not simper or act coquettishly, when asked their opinions on a topic they gave frank answers. Neither was adverse to a lively debate.

Such behaviour did not endear them to many of the gentleman that attended the local assemblies and routs. It was for this reason that Marianne was viewed as a spinster at the age of twenty-two. This did not overly concern her family as they wished for all their children to marry for love rather than for fortune. As for Marianne she rarely dwelled on her status. She cared little for these societal expectations. Her happiness was not dependent on the admiration of a gentleman.

An invitation was received by Marianne from her dear friend Felicity Hall to act as her companion for the summer  in London. Felicity was being sponsored for the season by her maternal aunt. This was to be her second season as she had failed to receive any proposals during her first. Her family was one of little means so they hoped that Felicity would secure the hand of a wealthy gentleman. Her aunt was acquainted with many members of the Ton and hoped that these would lead to many introductions for the delightful Felicity.

Her niece was a charming, cheerful lady however her face bore the blemishes of smallpox. Her entire family had been afflicted with it two years prior. The blemishes lead to her being overlooked by many she encountered. Her dance cards were not full and she was to be found in the company of the matrons and spinsters. Her kind aunt have provided her with an entire wardrobe of dresses and a plethora of invitations. The most important being that to the renowned Almack's.

However despite these efforts Felicity had not secured a suitor. Her aunt being of a determined nature persuaded Felicity to attend London for a second season and asked if she wished for a friend to accompany her.
Felicity immediately wrote to her dear friend Marianne to invite her to London as her companion. She hoped that Marianne would accept the invitation as she had felt quite alone during her first season. Her company would alleviate the loneliness and the ignomity of not being asked to dance.
It was most overwhelming attending many of the events of the season as in the main the ladies that attended were not of the cordial kind. She was overlooked and ignored owing to her appearance. Her appearance lessened her being perceived as a rival for the gentlemen.