Enforcing Family

Dash and Sky were silent as they obediently followed the seven-foot captain into the cockpit of the rusty metal airship. It looked more trash than treasure but seemed to be a decently steady flier.

A glance out the window at the darkening sky told Dash that they were far from where Kebar's castle had crashed into the ocean, erasing all evidence of Vale's heroic act. They were running out of time to find her. It sat on Dash's chest like a weighted clock, mocking him in rhythmic measure as time slipped past.

Mortem plopped down into the captain's chair that looked to be made up of a swivel stool that was bolted to the ground, with very little padding left. "Sit," he barked.

Sky and Dash quickly obeyed and scrambled onto an old shipping crate and a toolbox behind him.

"Kebar is far too clever. Ye can't go chasin' after 'im without a plan," Mortem grunted with a disapproving look. "Ye of all people should 'ave known better."

At the mention of their grandfather, Sky squirmed, uncomfortable. Dash ran his fingers through his hair, wishing to erase the blood in his veins that matched a family that had done nothing but cause pain.

"'e controls cyberspace. Anyone who 'as ever touched technology is compromised. 'e knows exactly what ye will do because 'e has learned everythin' about ye." Mortem glared at Dash, growling his final set of words. "Why do ye think I've never touched it? For me health?!? Don't be daft!" 

Sky shot to his feet. We cannot wait, he signed. Kebar knows who Vale's father is. Sky's gazed at Mortem intently, his next set of signs, slow and precise. Like a set of quick incisions through the air. Her real father.

Mortem glanced over at Dash and it took him an awkwardly long moment to realize that Mortem was waiting for him to translate. "Oh, sorry. He says that Kebar knows who Vale's father is. Her real one."

The blood drained from Mortem's face. His hand shook as he placed it over his thick bearded face, and swore a colorful string of profanity. "How? It's not even in the system?"

"I don't know. It was something he mentioned to Sky in passing," Dash translated.

Mortem swore again. "Kriss was always so careful. This changes thin's."

Dash had never seen Mortem look so concerned. The fire that was the base of his harsh gaze evaporated. Nothing had ever made Mortem look afraid before. The man was known for running head-first into danger with a wide grin on his face.

Whoever Vale's father was, had to be incredibly dangerous.

A chill ran down Dash's spine. "Mortem? What is it?" Dash asked, not bothering to hide the fear that filled his voice.

Swiveling around in his captain's chair, Mortem suddenly took the helm and turned the ship's wheel wildly. The entire airship bent to the left sharply, sending Dash crashing into Sky. "I thought you said we need a plan! Are we going after Vale?" Dash shouted over the roar as the engine kicked in, sending the ship faster.

Dash and Sky untangled their libs and gripped the doorway, trying to steady themselves for Mortem's reckless driving.

"We are, but we 'ave to make a stop first. We will be needin' some 'elp if we are dealin' with Vale's father."

"Who's Vale's father!" Dash shouted over the roar of the shaking engine. Mortem ignored him, too busy cursing at the controls. Dash turned to Sky.

Sky shoved off the wall once the airship had leveled. She is an elite, Sky explained. 

The words hit Dash like a ton of bricks. "What do you mean she's an elite!?!"

Her father is from a family that is close to Kebar. The Enforcing Family. Assuring the other's follow Kebar's rule.

The ship tilted — no, not the ship, Dash did. He hit the wall, his one good leg giving out. He slid to the ground, staring up at his cousin with a baffled expression. "Please tell me that's not true."

Sky didn't sign a word. He looked away, a muscle tensing in his jaw as he looked out the bridge window. Dash turned to look at Mortem. "AND YOU LET HER GO TO THE DEVINUS CASTLE?" he shouted. "You knew and you let—"

The airship was finally on the right path, leaving Mortem free to move about. Standing, he stalked over to Dash and Sky. "No one knew! Vale doesn't even know who 'er father is!" Mortem pounded his chest, rage clear in his eyes. "I signed my name on 'er birth paperwork, claimin' 'er as my child! That should 'ave been enough!"

The ship fell into silence as both Dash and Sky stared up at Mortem in surprise. It was suddenly clear to both of them how much Mortem cared about Vale. An unofficial father watching her from the shadows. 

"We all make sacrifices when we fight to fix thin's. Vale made 'er choice to save ye both. And now ye have to decide how far ye be willin' to go to do the same."

Dash's answer was instant, his green eyes flashing with determination. "As far as it takes."

You mentioned that we have to make a stop first, who are we going to pick up? Sky signed.

Dash relayed the question, curious himself.

Mortem's smile was dangerous, almost amused. "The person that knows Vale the best and 'ate 'er father the most. Tell me, 'ave either of you ever been to a fightin' ring?"

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you are enjoying the story so far, or are at least curious to see where the story is going

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you are enjoying the story so far, or are at least curious to see where the story is going. New chapters every Sunday night! Add this story to your reading list to know as soon as the next chapter drops!

Who do you think Mortem is talking about picking up? Why do you think Dash, Sky and Mortem are so scared of Vale's elite bloodline coming into play?

What is happening to Vale right now in the story?

Chapter Question: If you had to go into hiding, where would you go?

See you all next Sunday! Keep being awesome!