Fighting Ring

The underbelly of Newport's city was made up of vast, elaborate tunnels called "The Black Market." A set of mazes that to anyone unfamiliar could result in getting killed or lost. If you got lost, it wasn't long before you got killed. If an AI found you, you died. If one of the fellows who worked in the Black Market found you, you were sworn to secrecy that only released you in death.

Dash, Mortem, and Sky had sworn to its secrets years ago and were welcomed into the darkness that led to its center as blood brothers. The Black Market was dark and loud. Neon lights pulsed to the rhythm of a song that never changed. The energy promising to keep you in its grasp for as long as you stayed.

The strangeness of the music led people to work in synchronization until everyone's hearts pulsed to the beat of the music. The pulse reached through the false wall that hid the entrance, warning Dash of its effect moments before they pushed past the wall and were greeted by the Black Market.

The large circular hall was built like a colosseum with three floors showcasing a large hole at the center that kept a clean view of the base floor. Gas lamps hung from each circular railing on each floor, sending long flickering shadows across the stalls where questionable goods were sold. It was a strange place where old and new tech were knitted together as one. Gears and gadgets sat next to virtual reality tech that flashed with cheery neon lighting beckoning users to try it.

A person could buy just about anything for the correct price. Dash had once seen a man purchase a bag of human bones. He didn't know what the man needed them for but hadn't wanted to find out.

Pushing through the bodies of the market, they made their way towards a large oval door at the back of the market where a ring of purple light was carved into the opening leading to another room.

As they passed the opening, a large all-consuming roar reverberated through their bones, welcoming them to a frenzy that made all the hair on the back of their necks stand on end. "Welcome to the fightin' ring!" Mortem shouted over the crowd that cheered in a manic hysteria.

Why are we here? Sky signed, staring out at the crowd that had jumped to its feet, screaming towards a small fighting ring in the center of the room.

"Yeah, I have to agree with Sky. This isn't the time for betting, Traveler," Dash said, slipping in Mortem's code name. They each had one while in open areas, their true selves having been erased the moment they had joined the rebellion. Sky's name was the "Mechanic," Dash was the "Healer," and Vale was "Lightning Bringer."

"Traveler!" Dash called above another set of cheers as a woman walked onto the stage.

But Mortem wasn't listening, his eyes glued to the white stage in the center of the room where the woman stood. She wore all black. Her short black hair was slicked out of her face. She had toned arms from years of fighting and a set of purple bands wrapped around her knuckles.

The woman's face appeared on the large screens that surrounded the space above the ring. Sky watched Mortem, dubious of the sudden change that came over him. A look of deep sorrow was carved into his features that was so raw, Dash had to look away, flustered by the private moment he had been witness to.

He knew that look. An unreciprocated want that left an ache so deep it ate at you until it left a hole that could never be fixed. Mortem stared at the woman as she circled a man twice her size taking in this new opponent. The man had long red curly hair that looked unkempt and wild like the mane of a lion.

A bell rang and the man charged, fist first towards the woman's face with a battle cry that cut through the air. She stepped to the side, unfazed by the wild man who whirled around and swung again, missing as she ducked. The crowd jumped to their feet, screaming as she ducked two more hits.

Then something on her face changed. The expression of focus was replaced by a dark smile and suddenly, as he lunged for her again, she used his momentum to do the work, slamming her fist directly into his nose before he could move out of her way. The crack of her fist against his face cut through the cheers, and he hit the ground, knocked out.

Mortem laughed, a look of pride crossing his face. "She's always been a good fighter." The man was pulled off the stage to make way for the woman's next opponent.

Dash laughed, connecting the dots. Mortem had only ever loved one woman. And by the way she moved, Dash had no doubt who they came to retrieve. "Like mother, like daughter," Dash said to himself.

Mortem snorted. "Just as stubborn as Vale too. It's in their blood." He looked down at Sky and Dash with a warning expression. "Best prepare ye selves. Ye think she's fierce now. She's gonna be far more terrifyin' in a minute."

He looked back at the stage. "Could possibly kill us for lettin' 'er daughter get hurt."

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you are enjoying the story so far, or are at least curious to see where the story is going

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you are enjoying the story so far, or are at least curious to see where the story is going. New chapters every Sunday night! Add this story to your reading list to know as soon as the next chapter drops!

For those who have read book two, do you think Mortem ever told Kriss how he felt about her? How did that go? 

How do you think Kriss will take the news that her daughter, Vale was stolen away?

Why do you think Dash, Sky and Mortem are so scared of Vale's elite bloodline coming into play?

What is happening to Vale right now in the story?

Chapter Question: If you had to fight someone and were allowed to either use only kicks or punches, which would you choose?

See you all next Sunday! Keep being awesome!