four

realization

Anne arrived to Erebor just as the sun was beginning to rise, part annoyed and part relieved when she didn't see Bilbo. The rope was still tied to the post, and she started to climb up. Every single time she hauled herself up, she felt her heart get heavier, and heavier, and heavier.

"You don't have to go back there," Thranduil had said. "You can stay here with your kin."

"I know," she had responded. "I just... I can't leave them."

Her father had tried so hard to dissuade her from going back to Erebor but here she was now, her heart hammering against her chest and her mind reeling.

What was Thorin going to do when he found out that his Arkenstone was gone? He was obviously going to freak out, but Anne hoped that the reasonable side of him would decide to make an appearance and give what was owed to Bard. That way there, Bard and the people got what was owed to them, Anne would give Thranduil his gems back, and Thorin would get his stone back. There would be no war, and everything would be fine.

She hoped.

Anne hauled herself up one more time before jumping over the ledge and letting her feet touch Erebor. She pulled the rope up and took it off the chain, setting it down before looking over the wall to Dale and then back at Erebor again.

The Dwarves had to be still asleep, and Bilbo must've been, too. He probably left when he saw her running over. Anne sighed and walked to the stairs, looking over the railing. There was no one out. She was alone... thankfully.

Turning around, she leaned on the balcony and sighed. The sun was rising, coating the area in a light orange. She knew in two hours though, the sun would be fully high up in the sky, and not even yellow or orange would be coating the area, but red.

Anne groaned to herself and rubbed her tired eyes; she hasn't really had time to sleep, seeing as she woke up like in the middle of the night to go and give Thranduil and Bard the Arkenstone. Bilbo could have done it, but Anne had a feeling that something bad would happen in the future.

In a few hours, Anne had a very bad feeling that something bad was going to happen anyways.

So she just stood there and occasionally drifted in and out of sleep as the sun rose over the horizon. Ever so slowly, the Dwarves started to pile over to the gate, some murmuring to each other. Anne exhaled through her nose and turned around, running a hand through her hair. She smiled lightly when she saw Bilbo climb up the steps.

"You're back," he mused lightly.

She nodded. "Negotiations went well," she said before laughing quietly. "I enjoyed my walk around the perimeter."

Bilbo laughed nervously and scratched the back of his head. "I'm sure," he said.

Anne laughed too, though it soon ceased when she saw him behind everyone else, and he seemed to be trudging behind. Anne blinked and moved past Bilbo, who automatically got out of her way. She went down the stairs, the Dwarves trying to get her attention but failing. When she got to the bottom, Fili and Kili stepped in her way,

"Whoa, whoa, sunshine," Fili said fast, stopping her. "What's the rush?"

Anne only gave him a look.

Fili made the "O" shape with his mouth and stepped out of the way, Kili looking at him funny. He started blabbering away to his brother as they went up the stairs and Fili only chuckled and shook his head, encouraging Kili to go on more. Anne watched them leave before walking away from the stairs and marching straight forwards.