alternate ending

family

8 YEARS LATER

"Why?" Thorin croaked. "Why would you choose your life over mine?"

"Because your nephews need you," she answered. "I saw the traumatized looks on their faces when they saw you." A pause. "And also because Erebor needs its King."

"And a King cannot rule if there is not someone by his side," Thorin retorted, squeezing her hand. "I want you to rule by my side."

"That would be lovely... if I wasn't dying," Anne said with a little chuckle.

"Don't say that," Thorin scolded, shaking his head. "You're going to live. We set out to save Erebor, and now we have it. I'm not going to let it slip from you like it slipped from me all those years ago."

"Thorin," Anne said, cutting him off. "Yes, we did set out to save Erebor... and it has been saved." She inhaled and shook her head. "But not for me."

"No, don't say that, okay?" Thorin croaked, getting off the chair so he could go on his knees, putting her face in his hands. "We're going to get through this together."

Anne smiled softly, tears gliding down her face. She rested her hand on his arm, staring up into his determined blue eyes. "I love you," she whispered.

Thorin knew her soul was leaving her body, and he started to panic. "No. No, no, no, no, no, no. Anne, please. Don't you dare."

"I love you so much," she whispered. "And I'm so sorry."

"No, Anne—" His voice cracked, and he inhaled sharply to try and keep his emotions in check. "It's okay. You're okay. I love you, too, and I'm so happy I met you. You taught me so much, and you made me a better Dwarf."

The smile was still on Anne's face. "Promise me that you'll be a good King, Kingy," she pleaded softly. "Spend less time worrying about the gold, and more time on the people. Don't become your grandfather."

"I promise," Thorin answered, not missing a beat. "I won't fall again."

"Good." Anne exhaled painfully. "Kiss me," she said, her voice just barely a whisper. "Please."

Thorin nodded. He leaned his head down, careful not to hurt her as he kissed her softly. His lips fitted on hers perfectly, and he could taste her salty tears. He pulled away when Anne took a ragged breath and made a little noise, and panic started to settle in.

"No. No, no, no, no, no, no. Don't you dare, Anne. Don't you dare, okay? I love you too much," Thorin pleaded.

She took one last breath, trying to smile. "It's... okay..." Then nothing more.

"Anne!"

Thorin bolted upright with a yell, gripping the sheets. He was was panting and trying to catch his breath, drenched in sweat. He groaned quietly and rested his elbow on his knee, rubbing his eyes tiredly and trying to attempt to get that image out of his head.

"Same dream?"

Thorin nodded with a sigh.

"Same place?"

Another nod.

"Same dialogue?"

Thorin ran a palm down his face and sighed, looking straight across the room. "Same everything."

She sighed from the doorway and grabbed a bowl with cool water and a cloth. She walked over at sat on the edge of the bed, putting her hand on his face. "You're burning."