03. PROMENADES AND PROMISES

┌────── :・゚✧:・゚──────┐

PROMENADES & PROMISES

└────── :・゚✧:・゚ ──────┘

THE SUN WAS BEATING DOWN HARD on the two women as they began their walk through Hyde Park. The amount of couples that surrounded them was almost nauseating, although Marjorie couldn't fault her sister for bolting straight toward Colin Bridgerton as soon as the family came into view. Augusta was absolutely infatuated with the man, and he would make a good match. Something their mother had been unable to stop talking about to everyone she was friends with in London.

Augusta's potential match consumed her, and it didn't help that Marjorie had been seen with a Bridgerton as well, it only increased her mother's crazy behavior. Now instead of discussing one match, she was discussing three.

Oh yes, James hadn't gone unnoticed either, although no one truly knew who he wished to court. He'd been mainly seen dancing with Daphne, but with her new relationship with the Duke, who knew who'd he pursue next?

Marjorie scoffed and folded her arms, trying to smile at the interactions between her sister and Colin, the man making Augusta's face light up with delight every time he opened his mouth.

"Miss Baxter!" Violet Bridgerton called out, waving the blonde over to their gathering. The woman was sitting with Lady Danbury, the two of them looking every bit in each other's confidence. Surely they could not mean to invite her over?

"Good morning Lady Bridgerton," Marjorie curtsied, "Lady Danbury. To what do I owe the honor?"

"Oh come girl," Danbury chided her, making room for Marjorie on the bench, "Sit, and join us old women in our gossip." The darker skinned woman arched an eyebrow Violet's way, "It's all we're good for these days anyway."

"Oh surely, that's not true." Marjorie responded, "For who else would usher us toward such unworthy suitors?"

The two women broke into perfectly unladylike laughter, "Who indeed?" Danbury confirmed with a wry smile.

Marjorie relaxed at the gesture. Her eyes caught something in the distance, the sight of red and blue walking together, Daphne Bridgerton's arm lazily draped over Simon Basset's. "Although, I dare say you have managed to secure a perfect one for Daphne, Lady Bridgerton," The blonde smirked, still confused on how the debutante had managed to snatch up the Duke in the first place. Lady Whistledown had declared her all but ineligible that very week, and somehow she had managed to snatch up the catch of the season. "My brother shall be very disappointed indeed."

Violet shook her head, "Quite the opposite in fact," Lady Bridgerton wore a similar smile on her face to Lady Danbury beside her, "I believe Daphne's engagement to the Duke has only made Mr Baxter's affection grow stronger."