~31: Alone~

Slowly, Murtagh felt his senses return, and gasped in pain as it all sunk in. Desperately, he searched his own mind, but it was gone. The name of names was taken.

Murtagh fell to his knees for a second before getting back to his feet when he realized the gravity of the situation. She was in possession of the most powerful weapon in the world, that could allow her to do anything she wanted using magic, whether for good or evil.

He ran through the hallways, intent on finding her and stopping her if he could. Which, he realized, would be impossible now, as he couldn't remember the Name himself. He realized that only Eragon would be truly able to stop her now, as he was the only other one who knew it.

His footsteps thudded on the stone floor as he caught a glimpse of ginger hair leaving out the gate. He increased his pace and skidded out the door, mentally shouting to Thorn and through a rush of feelings, emotions, and pictures showing him what had happened.

Murtagh felt the urgency in his movements as Thorn took flight, speeding towards them. Murtagh himself just exited the palace, looking at Ismira was just walking in the courtyard.

"Ismira!" Murtagh yelled, not knowing what he could do to stop her though. A desperate plan started to form in his mind, which involved non-verbal spells, and even though it was dangerous, it would be far more dangerous if he let her go.

Ismira turned around, a sly smile across her face when she saw Murtagh, "Yes?"

He was about to release a non-verbal spell when Thorn appeared on the horizon, and he abandoned it for the moment, realizing that he could hit Thorn if his thought strayed.

Thorn dove towards the courtyard, landing with a crash onto it, and whipping his spiked tail towards Ismira.

With little effort on her part, Ismira said a simple spell, although Murtagh could only see her lips moving.

Thorn's tail stopped midair, and with another spell, an large and dangerous looking ice shard materialized in front of her raised hand. Something told Murtagh that it was stronger than ice, though, and wouldn't break that easily unless Ismira allowed it to.

Then, it darted towards Thorn, whom she had immobilized.

Murtagh felt a significant decrease in his strength as the shard hit the wards Murtagh had placed around Thorn, and he staggered, catching himself by gripping onto the pillar next to him.

Time seemed to slow as Ismira's lips formed the name of names, and the ice shard slid through the wards. The dragon roared in pain and anger as she drove it through his scales and skin, into his heart. Then, she released the spell, and Murtagh felt it personally through Thorn as the shard shattered inside of him

"Thorn!" Murtagh yelled, mustering what energy he had left and starting to run forward. Without even turning, Ismira flicked a finger at him, and murmured, "Letta." His movement came to a complete and utter stop, and he hung there, helpless.

"Jeirda." The word fell from Ismira's tongue like a hammer blow as she directed the magic at Thorn, using the name of names to enforce it.

Time seemed to slow down for Murtagh, as the ancient word took effect, and Thorn's neck was snapped.

The fire died from his eyes, and the life force was slipping from him fast, as Murtagh couldn't do anything. Then, he was alone. A heavy darkness fell over his mind, and he screamed in agony at the loss.

He watched as Ismira's dragon joined her, and the pair left, Ismira not looking back at the body of Thorn.

As Ismira got out of sight, the magic holding Murtagh diminished, and he collapsed to the ground, feeling sanity start to leave him. He stumbled over to Thorn, wrapping an arm around his dragon.

"Thorn," he choked, leaning against him, and fading into a type of unconsciousness, where he was barely aware of his surroundings.

He was barely aware of the shout that arose as a guard spotted the dragon's body, with his blood leaking out onto the stone courtyard, and that a squadron of soldiers came, taking Murtagh away, and into his room, where they left him, lying in the darkness.

Murtagh awoke the next day, feeling disoriented and alone. For several minutes, he couldn't move, until a quiet knock came on his door, and he forced himself to get up. The loss of Thorn was crippling, and he stumbled to the door, opening it jerkily to face Nasuada.

"What." He growled lowly. Nasuada's eyes instantly held concern, and she opened her mouth to speak. Before she could however Murtagh pushed past her, heading towards the gate.

"Murtagh!" she called out, but Murtagh ignored her, walking quickly out the gate, where he used magic to conceal himself. The body of Thorn lay there, and the guards were standing around, not sure what to do with it. Murtagh took a stiff step torwards it, before halting and feeling tears start to fall.

Turning, he ran, Zar'roc banging at his hip until he was far enough away. He tripped over something and fell to the ground, cradling his head in his hands. Reality was all too real and his mind seemed to be closing in on him. The darkness pressed around him, surrounding him and threatening to suffocate him.

His fingers dug into his palm, sending nerve signals of pain.

This wasn't over. He couldn't give up yet. There was danger that only he knew of.

He pressed a hand against the grass, pushing himself onto one knee. Still, the world seemed wrong. But for the time being he would have to endure. One person could do something. And he needed to be warned.