𝕊𝔼𝕍𝔼ℕ

Mornings in Carvahall were never quiet. It was a fact Ismira had learned and accepted over the years. Today was no different. The crowds of the village pressed against her, but Ismira pressed through. Almost nothing had changed here in the time she had been gone. Nothing.

She held her cloak around her, leaving the hood up. The glances sent her way were not subtle, but at least no one recognized her.

Ismira spotted the house she was looking for a little further on. The crowd had eased up somewhat, giving her a chance to pause and look at it. Just like the rest of Carvahall, nothing had changed in her childhood home either. Her mother was outside doing the laundry, and she guessed her father was in the field.

She wasn't here to return. Simply to watch for the last time. Ismira swallowed, hard, taking a deep breath. She had promised herself this wouldn't break her resolve. But it was certainly coming close.

Someone swept past her, bumping her away. Magic sprang to her lips, but she refrained. Not worth it. The cloak was for less attention. Magic would certainly change that.

Instead, she watched the person who had bumped her. Recognition jolted through her. Rak. Had he followed her? Impossible. No one knew she was coming here today.

Then she noticed where he was heading. Straight for her mother. Ismira was moving before she even realized. If he dared harm her, or threaten her... She didn't finish the thought, but the growing shadow on her arm burned in anticipation.

Ismira drew nearer just as Rak started talking.

"Are you Katrina?"

Ismira took another, silent step forward.

Her mother smiled, "That I am. How may I help you?"

"Nothing." he said quietly, too quietly. The words trailed away as if he were reaching into himself mentally. Alarm shot through Ismira like electricity. Rak could do magic, she knew that. His magic wasn't strong, compared to hers at least, but it could still be dangerous.

Ismira quickened her steps, just as Rak's throat started moving. She could sense the power start to rise in him. That power would destroy him, the spell too powerful. Her eyes widened as she realized that it didn't matter to him.

"Rak," She yelled, and his eyes switched to her. The spell changed, on purpose or accident she couldn't tell. All she knew was that she was now the target. And there was nothing she could do to stop it.

The spell bit into her, and the breath nearly left her lungs. It was unimaginable pain for a brief moment, and then it faded. Still there, ready to grow and grow until it destroyed her.

"For my father. Your father will watch his child--" He didn't finish the words. Ismira blasted energy through him, allowing the spell to be completed while leaving him alive. She barely noticed the loss, but her eyes were darkening nonetheless.

"I suggest you run, Rak. Because now, I have a chance to hunt you." Then her eyes darkened, and shadows took her.

~*~

Her mother's hand stroked her brow, and light was dimly streaming in through the windows.

"This is a dream," Ismira murmured. A tear landed on her shadowed arm, from Katrina's eye.

"No," Her mother said quietly. "It isn't, dearest."

Ismira opened her eyes more fully, noticing her father sitting heavily in a chair, his face turned towards the floor. He glanced up as she spoke.

"What..." She didn't finish the sentence as she remembered what happened. "Rak," she growled, moving into a sitting position. She felt weak already, from the curse that had been enacted. A curse that was meant for her mother.

"You're going to be okay." Roran moved to kneel on the floor next to her bed.

"That's not true." Ismira sank back onto the pillows. She hated the tears that stung her eyes. Hated the sign of weakness, of fear. "Don't lie to me."

Her father's pained face was still in her mind when she slipped back into sleep.

~*~

Ismira'a eyes cracked open, and shut immediately as her senses came into focus. Panic threatened to overtake her, and she inhaled through her nostrils. All of her limbs felt weak, and even breathing came harder.

She could dimly feel her mother's presence beside her bed, and a thick lump formed as everything that just happened fell into their places in her memories. What curse did he use?

She clenched her jaw, opening her eyes again. Placing one hand underneath herself, she pushed up into a sitting position. Katrina was sleeping in the chair, and Roran wasn't in the room.

The day was breaking, the room still dim from the night's darkness. Grabbing the bed post, Ismira slowly shifted her weight onto her feet. She couldn't give up. Perhaps there was a cure, or...

Her nails dug into the wood, holding on until her feet felt secure. One step in front of the other, she slowly made her way out into the kitchen. It was quieter than she ever remembered it, without her mother bustling around.

She moved to the backdoor, pulling on the handle and slipping outside. The air was fresh on her face, but there was nothing inside her that took pleasure at it. The Dragon... They were expecting her return, but how could she return like this?

She splayed open her palm, reaching for the magic that felt so distant. "Brisingr."

The flame that flickered and died out didn't feel like her own. Her flames would burn brightly and strongly. This...

She pressed a hand to her mouth, leaning her head back against the house. This wasn't supposed to happen. She shouldn't have come to Carvahall.

She would deal with Rak later, after she had recovered. She would recover. She had to.

The only thing on her mind the moment she had blasted energy into Rak was revenge. He would live another day, and when she was able to, she would hunt him. Her eyes burned with anger and tears, and she flinched when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

It was coarse, hardened from years in the field and times wielding the hammer that had earned him his name. Roran Stronghammer.

He sat down beside her, wrapping an arm and pulling her close to him. She didn't resist. She was physically weak and broken, and she knew it would only get worse. Rak would not have been content to cripple the targeted individual.

Anger burned inside her chest, and she held onto it, like the rock inside a firestorm. Like it was the only thing keeping her from losing herself to the ashes that dimmed and went out.

Honestly, I forgot this whole chapter happened bc I wrote this so long ago 😂😂😂