Chapter 8: Once More, Trying to Understand

[Chapter 8: Once More, Trying to Understand]

Why...?

It was as if I was stripped up of energy— limp against the couch. My arms were spread out, basking in the silence. It was dark, with no light in sight. Yet, I felt so very awake.

Why did I run away?

I didn't know what time it was when I got here, covered in sweat when I immediately went to my room. Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke, and Kakashi complained at me— as I left the ice cream— but... at the moment, that was the last thing in my mind.

I mean— could you blame me?

I took a deep breath, pressing an arm against my eyes. There was a trace of bitterness at the tip of my tongue, as an uneasy darkness seemed to swirl in my stomach. How the hell did all of this go wrong? So many questions lingered in my mind, yet not enough answers.

His hand— they pushed me away before the murderer got close. I thought back, a frown tugging my facial features. My brows creased at the memory. Despite everything, he was worried about my safety.

But then I remembered his expression: his guilt.

If it was all bullshit, he would've definitely said something about it. But, he didn't. Which means... what that person said, was true. I concluded, despite my dislike. But if so— why? Why did Hiro do it? What was his reasoning? Why does it conflict with the person I know?!

Wait. Does it even? Because... because he was so hesitant in telling me.

I don't know. I didn't fucking know.

"You're awake?" My breath hitched at a new voice, moving my arm up just a bit. Narrowing my eyes, I stared at what was in front of me as they got used to the dark. Holding a cup, water I presume, Sasuke stared down at me with an indifferent expression.

I sighed, straightening my back with a forced smile. Not that it mattered: it was in the dark. "Yup— is anyone else awake?" I asked him.

The boy shrugged. "No, I don't think so." Walking forward, he placed down his cup on the coffee table, sitting down next to me. "...That guy didn't come back."

Ah, he means Tae-young. I fought back the grimace before it could appear on my face. "Oh yeah, kinda ditched him." I laughed it off. He didn't buy it for a second, I thought at the sight of his stoic face, pushing my lips together. Another deep breath. My shoulders sagged, leaning back as I finally dropped my smile. "Stuff happened."

"Figures," He commented curtly, turning away. "He always rubbed me the wrong way, anyway."

With my elbow propped at my knee, I placed a hand under my cheek with averted eyes. "No, it's— it's not that." I felt the need to defend him. But wasn't it correct? In a way... it was like Hiro was a bad person. And yet... his actions kept on contrasting each other. "I just... got overwhelmed." Now that I think about it, I never actually waited to hear him out, did I?

I let out a laugh— yet nothing was amusing in this. Yeah, in the end, I ran away. Just like with every problem I faced. My hand reached up, clasping at air over my eyes. God, I'm such a fucking coward.

"It doesn't matter to me."

I turned my head at the Uchiha, furrowing my brows. "Then why talk about it?" I hissed out, though I think we both know it wasn't genuine. Are you trying to comfort me? I felt from his words. If so, it's terrible. At this point, I wasn't even mad. I was just... confused, dumbfounded, to be honest.