Congratulations: You've Unlocked Megumi's Interlude!

[Congratulations: You've Unlocked Megumi's Interlude!]

For the sake of saving time, Japanese will be underlined while English will not— for this chapter.

Scampering silently into the large bedroom, like a little mouse, I approached the curtains of a window, grabbing fistfuls of the silk-like fabric. Come on, come on...! Once I knew I had a solid hold, I experimented with my face, doing everything I can to become presentable. I took a deep breath.

Just like every day— every single day, I put on my best smile.

"WAKE UP, EVERYBODY!"

🎶 Now Playing: Genshin Impact OST - A New Day with Hope 🎶

I yelled on the top of my lungs, watching as the silence of the tranquil morning broke apart. In a flash, I flung the curtains open and exposed the lights of the early sun to the room— brightening what was once the darkness. In success, I felt satisfied when I heard multiple groans, ranging from sporadic and deep voices. "Up, up, up!" I cheered with fists up.

"Ashley...!" I heard one of them whine, sitting up. "Why?"

"Because!" I bounced from where I stood, childishly skipping around. "Today is another day! Another day, another chance!" My clothes flowed around as I twirled around, the floorboards creaking with each step. "And— and we don't want our great caregivers to overwork themselves, right?"

"But you'll worry us with your loud racket." Ah! Whipping my body around, I smiled widely at the sight of Jane, one of our workers here. The lady huffed, placing her hands on her hips. "Now, do you have to do this every morning?"

I giggled, like the good girl I was. "Mhm!" As much as I wanted to skip over to her and just— just do anything, I held my distance. "What are we having for breakfast? Ooo— can it be hamburger?!"

I smiled as they replied with a distant expression. I smiled as they wouldn't look at me in the eye. I smiled as everyone walked past me, eager to eat or do whatever activity. I smiled when nobody stopped to wait for me.

I kept on smiling.

Smiling, smiling, smiling—

Because that was all that was of me.

- .... .

"You look weird."

I blinked, glancing down at the child. My head tilted in curiosity, setting down the picture book I was reading. "Why?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. I could already predict what they were going to say.

"Your eyes," My lips pushed together at the mention of them. "They're really yellow and different. Kinda like pee. It's weird." It was... it was an innocent thing to say, coming from a child.

And yet...

I let my bangs fall over my sight, averting my eyes away, the ends of my lips twitching up. "Really, now?"

"Now, now everyone," At the sound of one of our caretaker's honey-like voice, we all eagerly turned from whatever we were doing. The man gestured to another adult, who... who looked like someone who is— "Gather around, we have a guest!"

Oh! Taking off, I rushed over to the new person's side, many others like me coming along. Narrowing my eyes, I interlocked my hands behind my back. People like that, right? The appeal of a cute girl. "Hi!" I greeted with precise cheer. They glanced down, the cons of being short and a child, I guess.

"Hello there," They replied with a small smile. Crouching down, they seemed to catch into eye contact with me— until they twitched. "Ah—" The visitor's eyes widened, quickly averting my gaze. "You all are so great!"