Chapter 2

I woke the next day to the warm sun shining through the window, enveloping me. Damn, I had forgotten to close the drapes. I rubbed my eyes a few times to ready myself and sat up, looking out the window. My eyes landed on the window to Jaydens room across from mine, watching him pull a shirt over his head. He turned, catching me looking and winked before pulling his curtains closed. I scowled. Typical egocentric ass.

I didn't bother checking my phone before getting ready for school, I knew there would be no messages anyway. I showered and washed my hair before using my air to dry it, letting it hang in loose waves that tumbled down my back. I looked at myself in the mirror, assessing my appearance. I never thought of myself as beautiful or anything like that but I assumed that I was pretty enough. I had light grey-green eyes which I had always admired and stretched to about 5'7 - pretty tall compared to all of the short girls at school. Just another reason to stand out. I sighed, I preferred to fly under the radar - most days.

I was never too obsessed with the way I looked but I liked to present myself the best I could when I had time. I applied a light layer of makeup to my face and accentuated my lashes, lips and brows, which would have to do for today. I grabbed a mint green skirt which I thought brought out my eyes and threw on a white knitted sweater. I headed into Noah's room and quickly woke him up for school. Noah attended a special school for kids with the same condition as him, I think he liked it there. He showered and I helped him pick out some clothes, it was strange doing this for a 13-year-old but I had gotten pretty used to it over the years.

I waited for Noah downstairs as I hastily got some cereal ready for us, we were running pretty late if I was going to make it to his school first. Mum and Dad must have already left for work because the kitchen was empty when I made it down there. We swallowed down our breakfasts, I swiped my keys and ran out to my car. I quickly - but safely - sped over to Noah's school as he tried to describe some stories about people he had met on the first day, yesterday. I smiled and nodded along, trying to follow the strange directions the story was going in, it was usually like this with Noah but I did my best to keep up. I dropped him off and kissed him goodbye to which he turned completely red in embarrassment and I quietly chuckled to myself.

I blasted Lana Del Ray the rest of the way to school and finally pulled up with two minutes to spare and literally ran to my first class, English with Mrs Walsh. I always liked English, I had no problem in comprehension and loved stringing words together. I was going so fast I must have not seen the 6'2 brick wall in front of me and swiftly crashed into it. I was in a haze for a few seconds as the brick wall reached out to steady me and I realised it wasn't a wall at all, it was Jayden Ross. I promptly smacked his hand away and he laughed.

"So little into the new year and you're already falling for me", he joked, reaching out again.

"Get away from me Ross", I huffed, collecting my books and other things that fell to the ground.

"Better watch where you're going Jones" he chuckled, "You don't want to lose the few brain cells you have left".

"Jump off a bridge" I spat.

"Only if you go first" he smiled sweetly, backing into my English classroom.

I sighed, annoyed that I wasn't able to fire back a retort. My annoyance was prolonged when I remembered that Jayden was in my class, and sitting directly behind me. Stupid alphabetical order, I silently thought to myself. I strode into class, ignoring the whispers and looks shot at me by my classmates, probably regarding the scene they witnessed outside the door. I kept my head down and collapsed at my desk, grabbing out books and other things I might need.

Mrs Walsh suddenly breezed into the room in all of her hippie glory. I always liked her, she was pretty laid back but always passionate about whatever she was teaching. Today she was sporting a multicoloured dress of sorts and bracelets lined halfway up her arms. She wore black leather boots and modelled a large turquoise stone at the end of her necklace to complete the look.