Chapter 4

JAYDEN'S POV:

I woke to the soft sound of crying coming from downstairs. I glanced at my stereo; it was pretty late. I leaned over to my bedside table and grabbed the small box I had stashed in the back of the draw, pulling an envelope out and shoving it in the pocket of my sweatpants.

I got out of bed and slowly treaded downstairs, careful not to wake my sister. I made it to the last step and peeked around the corner, seeing what I had already assumed was happening.

My mother, hunched over a pile of bills spread out on the table, her head in her hands. My heart sank. I hadn't realised that it was that time of the month already.

Mum always had trouble when it was time to pay the bills. She worked hard as a nurse at the hospital nearby, but she was a single mother supporting two children and it was never easy. My Dad was out of the picture, he left before my family moved here. I suppose that mum wanted to put some distance between them.

There was no contact between them either, or for Rosalie and I. He never sent money to pay the bills or called to check on us. Rosalie used to get cards for her birthday but they didn't last very long, and the bills just kept stacking up in the meantime. Some months we barely hung on by a thread and so, we began this little routine.

I quietly sneaked past her to the kitchen, grabbing a wine glass from the top shelf and filled it with a decent amount of red. She needed it.

After a moment of contemplation, I poured myself a small glass of scotch and made my way back over to her.

I placed the glasses on the table and wrapped my mother in my arms, holding her while she cried. I would usually hold her for as long as she needed but she seemed to pull herself together after a short while - when she realised that I was there.

She soon pulled back and wiped her eyes on her sleeve. "Thanks, Jay", she sniffed, using her nick name for me that I hated but never said anything about. 

I just smiled sadly and pushed her glass towards her and grabbed my own, leaning back in my chair and taking a sip.

"You know, I really shouldn't let you do that", she scolded, trying to be strong and motherly when she really didn't have the energy.

"I think that ship sailed a long time ago", I joked, trying to lighten the mood.

She just smiled, taking a long gulp of wine. I reached into my pocket and brought out the envelope I had tucked away. I grabbed the wad of cash I had stashed and threw it haphazardly on top of the stack of bills in front of her.

"I can't take this", she said immediately.

"Mum please", I reasoned, standing up. "We go through this every month. Just take the money, you know that you need it".

"I love you Jay", she said warmly, taking another sip. "Now go on up to bed".

I grabbed my glass and downed the rest of it in one gulp, the liquid burning down my throat and lightly slammed it back on the table. I kissed her on the head before heading back upstairs to my room.

I walked over to my stereo, flipping it on and playing some Cage the Elephant softly, so as not to wake my sister.

I felt a small loss at the thought of my hard-earned money but quickly dismissed it. I had been saving up for half my life for a motorcycle, taking small jobs here and there. It was my dream to have one, speed off away from this house, away from this town. I wouldn't have to beg mum to use her car or feel guilty when she had to walk somewhere because I had taken it out. My bike fund had considerably grown by the time I realised how deep in debt we were.