[41] Wakeful Nightmare

The Bat vigilantes were able to track Deathstroke out and reached his hideout to find it reduced to an ashen debris. The fire had died out but everything spoke of destruction and chaos. They spread out, searching among the debris for Tim and the others.

Red Hood spotted a flash of silver and recognizing the distinct shade of hair, he rushed to her help. Rose had lifted a heavy slab that had fallen on top of her but her movements were frantic as her hands raked through the debris.

"Lucas? Luke..." Her fingers sifted through the dust and ashes and she spun around violently when a hand closed on to her shoulder, arm lifted to strike. But Red Hood stepped back and she lowered her arm, recognizing him.

"Rose, what happened?" 

"Help me find him," she spoke up, hands digging through the debris again, "he was right here... He was hurt..."

He helped her lift the debris as the two searched and she finally caught sight of her brother, buried under the mounds of dust and broken concrete.

"Lucas!" 

The rest of the vigilantes had come there as well and they helped in taking him out from underneath the debris. Robin and Batman were still scouring the area for any sign of Red X or Deathstroke but to no avail.

"There's no one else here," Robin joined them at last, "I checked everywhere. No sign of Deathstroke, Shadow Walker nor our idiot of a brother."

And though his words were regulated, his fingers were twitching, panic taking hold of him. Damian never showed it but he was just as concerned for Tim as the rest of them.

Rose was shaking Lucas to wake him up, desperation dripping from her features because to her it seemed as if in spite of everything, she had still lost her brother again.

Batman's dark figure towered over them, the faint lights of dawn breaking the darkness as the sun's rays started to spread, "you both are coming with us."

"He's not responding," Rose exclaimed, her hand had closed on to his wrist frantically to check for his pulse, "I am not going anywhere until I am sure he's fine..."

"Rose, we are taking you to the cave. We will make sure Luke gets the treatment he needs," Nightwing tried to assure her, "he will be fine. Come with us."

Reluctantly, she gave in and stood up though she was unsteady on her feet. Nightwing and Robin lifted Luke, Red Hood supported her and the Bat vigilantes left for the cave. All except Batman who had stayed behind, because he had a feeling that there was something they were still missing out on.

Red X and Deathstroke both had to be there, they could not just vanish into thin air. And he was going to get to the bottom of the mystery, no matter what happened.

His son's life was at stake and he could not lose him, no matter what the price he would have to pay for ensuring Tim returned safe and sound to his family.

The boy was stupid in the sense that he always sacrificed himself in order to save others. But he was nothing short of a blessing to Bruce and the rest of the family and they couldn't bear to lose him, not at any cost.

***

Dora was pacing in her room quite troubled, because an unnerving feeling was gnawing at her heart. She had not been able to sleep the entire night, Tim's words were still resonating in her mind and she knew he was in extreme danger.

The thought of losing him was eating her up and though she wanted it to stop, forcing herself to think about something else, still the fear taking hold of her was getting stronger by every passing minute.