11| falling

Louis had been softly brushing the beautiful mane of Belle when he heard some clattering noise outside the barns. 

He immediately grabbed his sword and inched towards the noise, expecting to find some petty thief but instead coming out to see a petit girl, clad in her usual royal gowns.

"Princess Afsana?" Louis lowered his sword, as he watched the her frantically pick up apples off the floor.

She shot her head up with guilt in her honey eyes. "I'm dearly sorry, I didn't mean to drop the apples. I-I was just walking by and not watching where my feet layed-"

The Count's rich laugh cut her off. He couldn't believe a princess was fretting over such a simple matter.

"Are you sure you didn't kick them over to spite me, your majesty?" He teased her.

The remark seemed to only increase her franticness. "No! Count Blois I would never-"

"Your majesty, I am not serious." Louis bent to his knees and picked up the last apple upon the ground, gently removing the specs of dust on it so it was back to its shiny state. He took a bite into it, savouring its sweetness and held towards Afsana.

She politely refused the offer.

He held out his hand and helped her stand, noticing that some dirt had gotten on the edge of pink Mughal dress.

"So, how is it you're alone, your majesty?" He asked, not letting of her hand.

"I just need some time by myself." The princess made no attempt to free her hand either.

Louis could not help but take notice of the worry lines formed upon her features, and wondered what was bothering her now. He felt pity for how much she had to shoulder at such young age, and wanted to ease her burden a little.

"Do you know how to juggle, Princess Afsana?" Louis asked.

The rajkumari was preplexed by the sudden question. "No."

"Let me show you," He let go of her hand, missing the warmth of it, and grabbed two more apples from the basket. "I happen to be quite the expert."

She aprehensively watched as he threw the bitten one in the air, then another. But as he tried to pass the third to his right hand, he failed to catch first one returning fast towards him. The two apples bumped against his forehead and then rolled to the floor. 

As much as she tried, the rajkumari could not hold back her amusement. Before she knew it, a peel of laughter burst out and it had her placing a hand above her chest.

The Count of Champagne could not even take offense, not when she looked so beautiful.

He watched her shoulder move back and forward in small motions, her small nose twitching and her eyes glittering under the sun's rays, looking almost golden.

"Goodness, forgive me, Count Blois." She said, trying to suppress any more laughter.

He was about to say something, when they heard a female screech coming from above.

The two instantly looked up and spotted a shining object skyrocketing fast towards where they stood. It was a wine glass and the maid that dropped it held out her arms from the walls above as if it would fly back into her palms.

On the contrary it was falling down faster than the shooting stars the aristocrats observed on a clear night from the astronomy towers.

And Afsana soon realised it could hit Louis in the head.

Without second guessing herself, she jumped to grab in when it was inches above him, and tripped on her own two feet in the process. She fell stomach first on the ground, and the glass shattered in her hands, causing pieces of it to pierce in her palms whilst the rest flew across.

The princess yelped as the skin of the palm ripped open, sending jolts of pain across her entire arm and spine.

"Princess!" The count immediately dropped beside her and slowly lifted her to a sitting position.

He inspected her hand, and almost winced at the sight of blood spewing from around the shards of glass. He felt ashamed to not have acted quicker to protect her.

"We must take you to Dr. Rouge." He muttered. "The glass needs to be taken out and the wounds need healing balms, and bandages."

Louis slipped his strong arms under her back and thighs, lifting her up and knocking her breath away.

"I-I can walk myself." She said, willing for him to let her down.

"Your majesty, you're injured." Louis said, looking at her with a strained face. "Just let me help you for once."

Count Blois carried her bridal style back palace, and Afsana tried to distract herself from the pain in her hands as she thought about his words.

Let me. For once. When had she helped him before she had wondered.

This was the second time she'd aided him, though she didn't realise it herself. The Count could not figure out why she did it for the life of him, but it was making his soul warm towards the princess, that was for sure. He certainly no longer regarded her as the immature little girl who had come to ruin his life.

As they headed towards Dr Rouge's infirmary, he came to remember the offer she had made him a few evenings ago. He was sure their courtship had not been annulled yet, for he would received an abundance of letters from Antoine and Jean if that were the case.

Which meant he still had a chance. And he'd be damned if he didn't take it.

"I don't want you to refuse me." Louis blurted out.

The rajkumari widened her eyes as she looked at him from beneath her long lashes. "Excuse me?"

They were now stood in front of Dr Rouge's doors, and Louis paused for a second.

There was new sense of fierceness in his eyes as he looked back at her small figure bundled in his arms. The sight of her small frame and injured arms made him want to protect her with all his might.

"I don't want you to refuse me as a prospective husband." He said. "Or at least refuse me to free me, because I no longer want- no need- to be freed. Rather, I want you to turn me away because your heart simply does not want me."