Chapter Eight

O.P.P. Sergeant Evan Laredo listens to Mr. Brummel's babbling and seems sympathetic in the face of a father's grief. His quiet presence suggests he's actively trying to appear non-threatening. He nods respectfully at every opportunity.

"This is exactly what we dread in eventing," Terrence says. "It's an awful thing to happen. You must realize this is something we never could have predicted..."

Red-eyed with grief, Dr. Swansea crouches beside Cortes to remove Tanya's jumping saddle. Laredo snaps his fingers to stop him. He shakes his head no. One of the York Regional police officers politely encourages him away.

"That's her best saddle," Jonathan explains. "Not even her Burberry?" He points to Tanya's left riding boot which remains in the stirrup. I hadn't noticed that before, or the condition of her feet when they carried her away. The police officer shakes his head no.

Another deputy motions for Ainsley and I to step back, probably to prevent us from overhearing the investigators discuss the scene. But the officer is a horseman and when he meets another bow-legged cop they whisper theories. Ainsley tries to talk again but I quiet her so I can listen. First, they agree Cortes is an Arabian, and expensive. When Sergeant Laredo shows a red finger to his partner's camera, the two horsemen ahead of us discuss the blood.

"Could mean a heart condition..."

"Poor devil's heart exploded," the other replies, adjusting his Covid mask to talk, "It's not just blood in the breath. You see how it pools under its head?"

"What could cause that? Nothing in nature."

"Drugs."

I turn to study Ainsley; she winces at hearing their prognosis but then straightens her face.

Sergeant Laredo examines the horse's bridle and the police officers ahead of us have opinions.

"First thing I look at when a horse rears, the halter."

"Bridle and bit."

But the blue-eyed investigator seems satisfied with the halter and moves down the neck to inspect the saddle. The lawmen comment again in hushed whispers. "He should be able to slide a hand between the horse and saddle. Over-tightening can cause pinching."

"Yeah. Saddle pinch will cause a horse to buck," the other cop nods in agreement. But Evan Laredo appears satisfied with the tack and doesn't linger. Instead he returns to the dead horses' head to re-examine Cortes' bloody nose, mouth, and teeth.

"Now he's checking for dental problems."

"He wants to see where all that blood came from."

Sgt. Laredo holds Cortes' lips open so the cameraman can photograph the horse's teeth and bloody gums. Terrence interrupts.

"Horses with nosebleeds is not uncommon," Mr. Brummel says. "Blood flows after races." He looks to his vet to confirm, and Jonathan obliges.

"Nosebleeds can signal a medical condition called... ah... Exercise-induced pulmonary hemorrhage or E.I.P.H." Jonathan sounds like he's reciting knowledge from a textbook.

"I've seen enough," Sgt. Laredo stands and removes his gloves, "we'll send the carcass to that lab in Guelph," he states and his partner motions for the local officers to approach. Guelph is our nation's foremost agricultural university and has on campus something called A.H.L. or Animal Health Lab which frequently works with police.

"I'll gather the charts." Jonathan tells Mr. Brummel. "We'll send along his paperwork. His records."

"Yes. Do that," Sgt. Laredo agrees, "but I also want blood samples from all the horses that were down here today." He indicates the other hoof prints in the sand.