Chapter Twenty Four

"While our people check around the property..." Sergeant Evan Laredo addresses everyone on the asphalt, "we'd like folks to gather inside and let's just have a discussion. Perhaps we can clear-up some things?"

"Not now," Teo complains. "Most important time of the day."

"You'll do as they ask." Terrence says. "Everyone will." The old timer rolls around behind the group and motions us toward the back of the house like he's herding horses into a corral. "Anyone who leaves will wish they hadn't."

Ainsley and her father seem eager to comply. They came for this meeting, and so they're expecting it, but everyone else grumbles and resents the loss of time.

In the dining room cave under the big house, we find Mrs. Clara has catered the occasion. The old woman sits in her usual spot at the head of the table arrayed with chopped vegetables and dips. Herbert Chan occupies the most comfortable recliner and Ainsley perches on the armrest. Monica plops down with Delia and they dip broccoli crowns in cheddar sauce. Candace stands behind the horse girls with both hands on the back of their chairs. Jonathan sits opposite them and turns his chair to face the room. Teo stands by the window where he can watch the cops outside, and Bernard leans on the wall with his hands in his pockets. Mr. Brummel wheels through the connecting door in his more comfortable house-wheelchair.

Sergeant Evan Laredo and Detective Owen Lafleur stand together with their backs to the pool to host the meeting. Laredo sets his briefcase on the table and clears his voice to get our attention. His partner whispers something in his radio and then turns it off.

"As you all know..." Sgt. Laredo begins, "yesterday around noon, Tanya's Arabian horse suffered a heart attack while performing in the dressage ring. After some preliminary blood tests, we know that her horse, and one other belonging to Mrs. Candace Brummel, were both artificially stimulated with a toxic substance."

Lafleur sweeps his eyes across the room to check everyone's reactions. He finds a mixed response. Ainsley is happy the rumour is confirmed, and there were two horses affected. While Dr. Swansea and the girls frown with disgust. Teo seems impatient, and Bernard looks bored. Nobody appears scared or guilty.

"All the other horses we tested came back clear," Laredo holds up the report.

"The two affected horses are stabled relatively close to each other in the barn, but not beside each other." Lafleur works through their logic with everyone, "so unless there's something we don't understand," he brings it home, "it appears someone interfered with those two specifically"

Nobody says anything.

"Section 445 of the criminal code makes it a crime... To poison animals kept for useful purpose." Owen reads case notes on his iPad. He's about to continue and would probably give the whole legal description again when Mrs. Brummel interrupts.

"Ainsley poisoned Cortes. We all saw it." Candace nods at me, "And this one likely got to Charlie when we weren't looking."

"Be careful." Mr. Chan says, "It's also a crime to falsely accuse my daughter without proof."

"Nobody is accusing anyone of anything," Sgt. Laredo douses the flames, "we're just looking around outside, asking questions in here. Trying to get to the bottom of things."

"Toni has something to show us." Mr. Brummel announces, "I believe she can solve the case right now by exhibiting a video on her phone."

"I don't have my computer." I stop him from saying any more. I'm not ready for the spotlight yet, and this is a faulty set-up. First the perp has to deny being in my cabin and then be surprised by the presence of hidden video. Terrence has totally blown the effect. Plus my iPhone is only 7% charged.