Chapter 1: How It All Started

The alarm rings unbearably as it always does, scaring off the curious Starly resting on a desk made out of rowan wood. The unaware bird Pokemon had mistaken the mounds of books and papers on Sinnoh history and geography for a potential nest. Who could blame it? There's so many books, articles and records that the entire desk and wall shelves are covered in it. The sun comes up and out of the horizon, signalling a brand new day over this little town through the tiny blue window curtains guarding a snoozing child from getting too much light while still sleeping.

Eventually, you couldn't bear to hear the alarm ring for another second, so without knowing exactly where it is on your bedside desk, you begin hitting several spots on the desk, hurting a hand in the process. You get up in the most bizarre way off the bed to stretch and practically learn to walk again as you stumble onto the desk with all the geography textbooks you borrowed from the Canalave City library. Crap. Most of the books were overdue for their return. You're gonna have to walk over there today ASAP. If mom finds out, she's gonna get pretty damn angry. After a very rushed shower and the fastest dressing up anyone in Twinleaf Town has ever attempted, you run down the stairs with 6 towering books in hand and greet your mom.

"Morning, mom! I gotta return these to the Canalave City library. Sorry I can't spend more time to eat breakfast."

"[Y/N]! You just woke up? And weren't those books supposed to be returned 2 weeks ago? You seriously need a lesson on punctuality, young man. *Sigh* I actually expected this, so I packed your breakfast for you. Make sure to eat them on the way there along with Larvitar here. He's been waiting for you for ages, so don't leave him behind, alright? Your grandpa gave his Tyranitar's egg to us for your birthday when we moved here. Please spend time with him outside of training. You need to treat your Pokemon as you would your own child, okay?"

"Alright, mom. C'mere, buddy. No battling for today, just going on a trip to the library. But if you're feeling itchy, feel free to knock out a Zubat or two on the way."

Larvitar gave out a tiny grunt of approval. You've been fond of him since you've raised him from an egg all the way back from when grandpa sent out an egg to the family as a parting gift since we were moving to Sinnoh. For a baby Pokemon, he's pretty hardheaded, and he keeps getting into trouble with other evolved Pokemon. Though you have a feeling he's about to evolve soon.

"Alright, mom! I'm gonna go now. Also, where's Rotom? I haven't seen him around."

"Oh, it's in the yard mowing the lawn as usual. Don't bother it, Rotom don't appreciate when their fun gets disturbed. If you need anything from it, just wait until it's done with whatever it's doing. And, there's also one more thing I want to ask. How are things with your Cynthia? Are the two of you... You know...?"

You stopped dead in your tracks, not moving an inch for a few seconds while trying to process what mom just said. 'My' Cynthia? What? Is she asking if you two are...? Nah. That's not true, the two of you are childhood friends, sure, but that's all you are. Yep. You two are best friends. Nothing more, and certainly nothing less. Not a single special thing going on between you, no sir. Mom must be misunderstanding something here.

...

Crap. You can feel your cheeks warming up and your head starting to sweat. To your dismay, mom and Larvitar notice your blushing, and she deliberately gives you a smug and satisfied expression, knowing that you may have a... Tiny, small little crush on Cynthia. Okay, maybe quite a bit, but not too much. ... Actually, no, you like her a whole lot. You just don't want to tell anyone about it. And it's been working so far, at least for everyone else; Everyone else but mom, as you can see, that's not working at all. She knows about your feelings better than you do, which is impressive and scary at the same time. In fact, your face makes her more curious about why you haven't admitted it. Here she goes.