Chapter 7: Road to The League

It's been a few weeks since you started training up Pupitar and Ralts again, this time returning to route 201 because Ralts couldn't handle much physical attacks from most, well, any Pokemon, for that matter. Despite this, there were a lot of times where she had her moments, particularly when she learned a new move after switch-training with Pupitar for some time, being Confusion. Unlike Pupitar, though, you never see her celebrate after a battle. Guess it's just her disposition.

So that brings you to today. Picking up where you left off a few days ago, you visit Jubilife City to buy some more of those Potions to help out with the training. After you walk out of the Poke Mart, you spot another boy, about your age, looking down from one of the tall apartment units. You look around, wondering what exactly he's staring at, but it seems he's just viewing over Jubilife from one of the higher floors, strangely quiet and unmoving. It's off-putting, but you wouldn't blame him. The city looks good from pretty much any angle.

Ignoring the boy, you walk right along towards the eastern cave, to grind up before challenging Byron, the Oreburgh City gym leader. It'd be kind of rude to challenge him when you've heard he has a 5-year old son to take care of, but hey, what can you do. You told your mom just about two weeks ago that you're going to try and take on the Gym challenge, since Pupitar was obviously strong enough to take it on, and besides, it's just awesome to battle. You want to try it out. Once you reach the cave in the Oreburgh Gate, you tap on your Pokeball to bring out Ralts again.

She lets out a little noise to greet you, and latches on to your leg. You can't help but have a soft spot for this little thing, it acts just like a toddler. You lift her up onto your head and think about what you want her to do today. Her orange horn warms up a little bit, and she nods in understanding, preparing herself to battle some Zubat and Psyduck.

"Ralts, use Confusion again!"

Your commands echo slightly along the tunnel, alerting some more Zubat to attack you. Luckily, Ralts can beat them with her attacks with enough time and you get through the tunnel after... One and a half hours. According to your Poketch. Arceus be damned. Ralts looks tired, too. Fortunately, Oreburgh City is just around the corner. Ralts leads the way despite her clear exhaustion, and brings you along to the nearest Pokemon Center.

"Man, now it looks like you're the trainer here, doesn't it? I think we've fought enough Zubats to last 3 lifetimes."

You sigh and heal up Ralts at the Pokemon Center while sitting down yourself at one of the cushions. That was when an old woman sat down next to you. She's wearing a brown scarf that ran down her shoulder, with an unbelievably thick white coat over her striped gray sweater. She notices you from the corner of her eye and turns to you with a friendly smile.

"Hello, young man. You look rather ragged, don't you? What happened?"

"I just had a bit of trouble with the  Zubat colony in Oreburgh Gate. The little bastards wouldn't leave me alone. Ah, pardon my language. I shouldn't have said that."

She let out a hearty chuckle, seemingly amused with your painful Zubat rendezvous.

"Ahaha! Oh, don't worry yourself over this old lady! I understand. Believe me, being a ground-type Pokemon trainer makes them that much harder to deal with! By the way, what might your name be, dear?"

"I'm [Y/N]. What about you, ma'am?"

"Pleasure to meet you, [Y/N]. You may call me Bertha. No need for formalities and the like. I'm one of the Elite Four, 30 years and running! We work under the champion."

"Woah, really? What's an Elite Four member doing here?"

"Well, to tell you the truth, I was on a leisurely stroll when I met this young lady on the path. She had a Gabite by her side, raring to challenge the gym. She did mention something about wanting to have access to Sinnoh's sacred ruins."