Chapter 12: Underlings

With the research on Uxie wrapped up, you and Cynthia went on your way to Lake Valor, stopping by Veilstone City to move forward with your gym challenge. You both decided that completing the gym challenge would be the best way to get stronger and hopefully be able to stop Cyrus the next time you see him. Though, you haven't been spending much time with each other for the sake of it lately. But let's be honest, you wouldn't be going on fun trips when someone your age might successfully end the world.

But there's no harm in enjoying the process, right? At least you think so. Maybe a part of that is because the Veilstone City gym leader specializes in Fighting types, which most of your team can handle, except Pupitar. And to your surprise, Golbat and Kirlia get along brilliantly despite Golbat's antics. He'd perch on her horn to get a reaction, but as soon as he senses an incoming Psychic, it quickly staves him off. Pupitar prefers playing, or rather, sparring with Gabite, often nagging Cynthia to take her out of her ball just so they can ram their heads together.

"Hey, [Y/N]. I've been wondering, how do you really feel about me travelling abroad often? You tend to sound rather irritated every time I talk about visiting another region. Not to be pushy, of course, but is it bothering you?"

"Well, this is out of the blue. I have mixed feelings, but do you want the supportive or the honest answer?"

"So that's a yes? You already know, but I didn't have many friends or family growing up. My grandparents are there, of course, but they let me go whenever and wherever. Most people just don't really care about how I spend my time."

"Y'know, even if most people don't, I do. Quite a lot, at that. Hey, if you want to learn from all around the globe, that's all well and good for you. I just don't know what I'd do with my time when you're not around, that's all."

"Really? I've never heard someone say that before. Hehe, it's sweet of you to worry. Speaking of which, what about you, [Y/N]? Having a hobby is good fun, y'know."

"Was that a jab at me...? Lately, I've been trying my hand at languages, but I'm not good at it yet. Я могу говорить только три. Ich kann auch ein bisschen Deutsch. (*) Bleh. That didn't roll off the tongue well."

"I don't understand anything you just said, but wow! Languages, huh? I tried reading some ancient runes a while back, but I couldn't figure it out. Maybe you can teach me? Please?"

"Whoa now, I'm not quite there yet. But sure, I don't see why I shouldn't. It's not free, though. If we could go on a date or two, I'd take that as payment."

"Very f-funny, [Y/N]. Though, I might just take you up on that offer..."

You both laugh it off, but as you turn to look at each other, your faces turn a bright red at a glance. The more you go along the road, the more something unsettling catches your eye from around the corner as you approach the Veilstone Gym. It's a shadowy figure, seemingly watching the two of you from a distance. The person looks about your age and dresses casually, but his sharp glare tells you otherwise. With a bitter feeling rising up your gut, you give Cynthia a signal to keep an eye on them. She's briefly confused, but almost immediately readies her Pokeball. You start to wonder who that person is. A thief? A delinquent? Or someone else entirely? You wish your instincts are wrong, but you carefully call them out just to make sure.

"...HEY! YOU! How's the view up there!? Pupitar, Kirlia, Golbat! Come on out. I have a bad feeling about this... Cynthia, are you-?"

"What's going on, [Y/N]? I don't like the stare these two girls are giving me."

"There's more of them? Terrible coincidence. I'll take care of all three, you hang on tight, okay?"

"Don't worry about me, [Y/N]. I can hold my own, too! Just you watch!"