Chapter 6: Amity Square

The open-air park is covered in white flakes of snow all over, the fountain somehow still functioning properly despite the cold layers of frozen water and air. There are kids and elders walking around with their Pokemon, albeit with only one outside their Pokeballs because of the park's limitations. Stalls filled with drinks and food fitting for winter are lined up all throughout the walkways, lit up by the sun and the reflective snow on the ground.

You and Cynthia walk up to the entrance with your Pokemon, and the lady at the doorway stops you.

"Sorry, but only cute Pokemon are allowed to walk freely in Amity Square! House rules, no going against 'em."

"Oh, alrigh- wait. What do you mean 'only cute Pokemon'? Aren't people allowed to bring any Pokemon in here with them? That's how it was a few months ago, right?"

"Again, sorry about this, but the manager has been pretty adamant about banning most 'Mons after someone brought in a Wailord and a Latias to the park. I hope you can understand. To compensate, I'll give you two a couple's ticket and cut down the price. It even comes with matching bracelets!"

Before you can respond -or react, for that matter-, Cynthia steps up and declines the offer.

"I'll have to say no. We're not a couple, though I admit we may look like one sometimes. Sorry for the misunderstanding. How about we just get two of the regular single tickets, [Y/N]?"

"Oh. Well, yeah, sure. We'll take 2 of those."

"That's a shame... You guys would look really cute together, y'know? Ah well. 2 regular tickets coming right up. Enjoy your trip to Amity Square!"

After thanking the receptionist, you and her walk in to the east wing of Amity Square, taking in the serene view and feel of the breeze and snowfall this time of year. Well, at least Cynthia is. You're still shuddering head to toe because of all the snow that's falling in every direction you look. Yeesh. Way to ruin the moment, [Y/N]. You were about to go look for the closest roofed stall when you notice something from the corner of your eye. Cynthia looks a little red, doesn't she? You wonder why, though your mind is already working on the overthinking.

"Cynthia, you alright there? Did I do something?"

"No, not at all! I was just a little surprised that the receptionist thought we were a couple. Do we really look like one? I hope people don't get the wrong idea... More importantly, where do you think we can get those chocolate drinks together? I'm getting a little cold."

... You think you know why. Trying your best to ignore the mishap with the receptionist, you continue to look for the famed food stall that sets up every wintertime in Sinnoh, selling some of the best snacks and drinks you can get in the cold. After about half an hour of searching, the snow finally gets on your nerves and you decide to sit it out while Cynthia keeps walking around in the park area along the vendors for chocolate. You're still paying for all this, though.

Almost an hour passing, she finally comes back with the steaming brown cocoa beverage, sitting down close to you while huffing meekly on her drink. You feel kind of lucky to be one of the few people to see this side of Cynthia, let alone this often. But at the same time... She's being a bit too cute for you to handle.

"Would you like some too, [Y/N]? It's delicious! Looks like what they say about the drink is true. This is much better than the ones I usually drink."

"Is that so? Well, I can definitely tell. You've got a little stain on your face there."

"Oh, really? Mmph. Did I get it off?"

"No, it's right... Here."

Instead of wiping her cheek, you go for the cup of hot chocolate she's holding, confusing her for a second. With a smug smirk on your face, you drink right from the cup as an attempt at teasing. Though it was probably a rather pathetic one, it sure did work. Cynthia gives you a glare and her cheeks puff up, turning a light shade of pink.

"Hey! What was that for? That's mine! If you wanted it, you could've just asked, you know."

"Heh."

Cynthia tries taking it from you, though to no avail. You keep shuffling the drink in your hands, confusing her the more she tries to follow your movements. After a bit more of this, you decide to give it back to her, but right as you do, she pulls on your arm to bring you closer and accidentally forcing you to pin her down on the bench.

"Um, [Y/N]...?"

"Yeah?"

"This is. A bit too close for comfort, don't you think?"

"... Yeah."

"
As you turn to Cynthia, she diverges her view quickly, barely managing to hide her furious blushing. You feel like apologizing, but seeing how nervous she looks right now, you decide to give her some time to cool down and pull herself back together. But honestly, you need it far more than you think she does right now.

"Well, there goes 200 Pokedollars. My bad."

"No no, it was partially my fault, too. But the spill is definitely on you, [Y/N]. You jerk."

She turns away from you while pouting again. You know she doesn't really mean that, and is just a little flustered by what happened, but you can't help but feel guilty about it. You were right. That attempt at teasing really was badly executed, after all.

The two of you stayed there in silence, both feeling bad and still flushed from the... incident. Every time you tried to speak up, you can't get the words out, and neither can Cynthia. You just sort of sat next to each other, occasionally looking at each other for weirdly long periods. Luckily, you know her well enough to figure out exactly what might lighten the atmosphere again.

"Sorry about that. And you don't need to apologize, just be more careful next time, okay? How about I buy you some ice cream over there? Any flavor you'd like, on me."

"... You can't bribe me into a better mood."

"It'll be your favourite kind. Casteliacones, right? You sure you don't want some? I'll buy more for myself, I guess."

After a few more moments of silence, she glares at you, her resolve clearly wavering. Eventually, she gives in and scowls with a surrendering annoyance at you. Looking to the side, she slowly starts talking and says,

"... Fine. You win, [Y/N]. Let's go get some ice cream. It's on you, right? I'll be taking 5, then."

"Whoa, now. I did say I'd buy you some, but don't go overboard with it. I'm no rich trainer."

Cynthia giggles smugly, while still keeping that calm demeanor. It's confusing to see, but hey, it's Cynthia. She looks great either way. Thanks to your offer, she hurriedly and excitedly grabs your hand, dragging you along to look around for a nearby ice cream vendor. In the beginning of winter. It's ridiculous, but at least she's making all of this worth the pain.

-Time skip to the end of the day-

The day comes to a close, the sun already behind the snowy mountains, beyond the horizon of the seas. Today was one of the best you've ever had, going on what was basically a date with Cynthia. She dragged you around by the hand in the open snow, and caused you to barely be able to move for most of the trip. Even so, you're glad to have taken her out today.

"Thanks for today, [Y/N]. I never expected you'd take me to Amity Square! It's been a very, very long time since I've visited that place. It's nice to be able to soak in some nostalgia, don't you agree?"

You nod your head in agreement.

"And I had a great time, thanks to you. I... Appreciate it, for lack of a better word."

She nods her head curtly, her cheeks flushing brightly in contrast with her reserved gesture. You smile back to her as she waves you goodbye just outside her house. Today was a good day.