Chapter 16

"Wait, is this working?"

"Shut up Dickhead. It's working. Don't piss your pants about the machine and just fucking do your part."

The masked man gave the person behind the camera an offended look and looked directly into the camera like seriously? He paused for a moment, thinking of what to say before clearing his throat and saying it.

"Okay I know this is quite random, but hi, my name is Nightwing. This is a short message to Red Robin."

The camera shook a little bit before tumbling down just to be caught and placed back on the stand hastily. A child's voice wafted through the audio, tutting and calling the cameraman 'incompetent'. An immediate fight broke out. The man- Nightwing- sighed and looked back into the camera, trying to ignore the fighting right behind the recording device.

"Okay I'll continue now." He raised his voice over the loud scuffling noises in the back. "Red Robin, we got you. We're coming so wait for us- Hood!"

With a loud grunt, Nightwing was knocked to the ground by another man wearing a shiny red helmet. The child, who was also wearing some bright costume also came into view of the camera, waving a large authentic looking sword threateningly at the older man. The two continued to fight as Nightwing shoved them off him and took control of the camera again.

"Okay really sorry, but I gotta end this before it gets messy. Um bye!"

With that, the video stopped on a frame that did not do Nightwing's face any justice.

Tim smiled fondly at the video, replaying it all over again. He'd been watching and rewatching the video all morning, happy to look at his brothers' interactions after a solid month of solidarity. He'd never admit it out loud, but he really did miss his family and life back in Gotham.

It seemed like they'd been able to hook up the teleportation device to the computer and by extension, a camera, allowing them to transmit signals through the machine and into the dimension Tim was stranded in. There was, of course, no way that Tim would be able to respond, but he was elated at his brothers' message. Perhaps once he finished the machine on his end, they'd be able to indicate whether or not he was transmitting information to the right dimension.

Needless to say, the video had blown up all over the news, having been broadcasted on every TV in the world that was on during that time. No one knew where it came from and some were speculating that it was some sort of advertising scheme from the Red Robin fast food chain.

"You wanna explain why there's three bloodthirsty weirdos on the internet looking for you?" Tim looked up from where he was sitting on the couch to see Tony not far away, drinking coffee as he scanned the contents of his tablet.

"They're my brothers, not bloodthirsty- actually nevermind. I mean not all of them are bloodthirsty, but they're definitely weirdos I guess."

"They're your brothers?"

"Yup."

"Right." Tony nodded his head slowly as he stretched out the word. "So like what's up with the message? Couldn't they have just called you or something?"

Tim glanced back at the screen, mind blanking out as he searched for an excuse. "Uh, they're just a tad bit extra."

"Yeah no shit." Tony was about to say something else when FRIDAY interrupted him.

"Sir, it appears that Nick Fury is requesting to speak with Tim."

________

Tim stared blankly at the wall, shoulders slumped and feeling overall, uncomfortable.