15: "I Am Poem."

I am unique and hopeful
I wonder where I will be in ten years
I hear birds cry
I see a black gate
I want to be able to be me freely
I am unique and hopeful

I pretend to be completely okay
I feel myself levitate off of the ground
I touch the open sky
I worry that I won’t be good enough
I cry when I’m unable to take pain from others
I am unique and hopeful

I understand that hard work pays off
I say Black Lives Matter
I dream to be comfortably me
I try to continue writing my book
I hope to be completely happy
I am unique and hopeful

What was your experience writing the poem?
Writing this poem was very interesting. It helped me to put my own feelings onto paper, something that I’ve been avoiding for a while now.
What did you learn about yourself through this process?
I learned that there is a lot that I need to work on in regards to my self image.
Try reading the poem aloud. How did that feel?
Reading this poem aloud felt normal. Everything that I wrote and said was true. I felt that I had power over myself.
What do you think someone reading your poem would assume about you?
I feel that one would assume that I may be very dedicated to being successful and very strong on the BLM and LGBT movement.
Would you feel comfortable sharing your poem with others? Why or why not?
Definitely. I want people to know me authentically. Nothing hidden and me being one hundred percent myself.
How does this activity relate to the discussion on understanding our differences?
There are a lot of differences within ourselves and it takes knowing ourselves to be able to understand ourselves, our similarities and differences.