Chapter 3 - Nehemiah

I slept in the hollow as an owl, as soon as the sun rose, I flew to the edge of the city and shifted into my fae form, looking down at my clothes before scanning the street, I didn't seem too out of place, so I began walking.

I explored the city for a little while. It was beautiful. Using my fae hearing I picked up snippets of conversation, at first nothing stuck out at me then I heard something helpful.

"I'm so glad the High Lord has opened the Night Court's borders, it's so lovely to meet people from all over Prythian."

I took the information and sorted through it. I was in a place called the Night Court, they had a High Lord, I was most definitely not at home anymore. I didn't want to believe it, but I had a horrible feeling I wasn't even in the same world.

Now that I knew new people were coming and going, I began walking more freely. I was walking down a beautiful, coloured street. There was a couple walking hand in hand, both dressed in pure black. A couple of kids were playing near me, but they stopped when they saw the couple.

"It's the High Lord and High Lady." One whispered to the other.

These were the people in charge, and likely the ones that sent the winged dudes after me, as the male also had wings. I stood with the two children and gawked like they were, but the couple spotted me.

As they walked over, I froze, now what was I going to do?

"Hello." The woman smiled at me.

"Hello." I almost whispered back, lowering my eyes.

"You have very stunning eyes." She said.

Damn, I forgot about them,

"Thank you." I whispered.

"Your mind is guarded very well, how come?" the male asked.

"My mother had a run in with someone who could go into her mind, they tortured her, she taught me how to keep my mind guarded so I never had to go through the same thing." I told him, hating myself for telling him about her past.

"Where was that?" the woman asked me, looking angry.

"Not here." I replied.

"Where are your parents?" the woman asked, her gaze softening.

"Far away." I replied, I decided that being vague would be best.

"An owl with feathers the colour of your hair came through here yesterday, do you know anything about that?" the male asked.

"No," I really hoped he couldn't hear my heart hammering in my chest.

"What court are you from, your hair says summer, but your eyes say winter? The male looked irritated.

"Summer." I replied.

"What is the High Lord of Summer's name?" the male asked, the female was shooting him daggers.

Crap, he caught me out, I was so screwed, mum would be pissed.

"Rhys, don't play with her." The female hissed.

"She is clearly lying to us." He hissed back.

"We don't want to hurt you; we just want to talk." The female told me.

Someone grabbed me from behind and I panicked, setting my body on fire.

"Shit." A male voice barked.

I extinguished my body, glancing over my shoulder to see one of the winged dudes behind me.

"Ok, I've had enough of being nice." The male, Rhys, snarled. Darkness surrounded us.

I set a small flame in my palm, but it did nothing to help with lighting the area up. Strong arms wrapped around my middle and a thin layer of ice coated my body.

The darkness dissipated and I saw that we had moved, we were now in a sitting room. Half a thought had me choking the air from whoever was holding me and the ice melting from my body, they let me go. I crouched and looked around, the male who I burnt was holding his throat, breathing deeply. The male and female were now joined by two more females and a male, all circling me.

Why didn't we cover this in training yet?

"We really don't want to hurt you." The female I recognised said.

From the looks on everyone else's faces I didn't believe her.

I set the room on fire, not so it was burning anything or anyone, but I could if I wanted it too. I stood from my crouch.

"Let me go." I said, my voice giving away just how terrified I was.

There was a sharp prick in my shoulder, I looked and saw a needle of wood, I pulled it out and looked at it.

"Did you just stab me with a wooden needle?" I asked, brows raised.

The female who had stabbed me looked shocked.

"Do I want to know why?" I asked, looking round.

I held it in my palm and turned it into ash. I put my hand on my hips.

"You can't just burn the room all day." Rhys told me, crossing his arms.

"Yes, I can, and I will if you don't let me go." I told him, impressing myself with how steady my voice was.

"I'd believe her Rhysand." A silver eyed female said.

I felt magic pushing against my own, ice from the feel of it, I just burned a little hotter and it stopped.

"Just let me go and I won't turn your very nice house into ash." I said, still keeping my voice steady.

"Tell me, am I right in guessing you are Aelin and Rowan's child?" the silver eyed female asked, hands on hips.

If she knew that, then she knew who I was, what I was.

"I will take your stunned silence as a yes, who did she name you after?" she asked, perching on a burning sofa.

"Amren, are you crazy?" a golden-haired female hissed.

"Maybe," Amren replied.

I was staring at Amren in shock, surely, she couldn't know everything about me. something solid hit me on the back of my head and I fell to my knees, vision swimming.

"Cassian!" someone snapped.

I covered myself in an ice bubble before the darkness reached out to claim me.