deux

CHAPTER TWO: A GILF, A SERIAL KILLER, AND DAVID BOWIE WALK INTO A BAR

∘₊✧────────────✧₊∘

VALERIE STOOD THERE, NOT SAYING a word for a few seconds. He liked her boots; Her go-go boots; her favorite boots. The universe really had sent him.

  Meanwhile, Awsten stood in silence too, but for a different reason. God, he'd said the wrong thing, hadn't he? Was she super self-conscious about these boots and he'd just blown his shot with the prettiest girl at the party? Fuck, he hoped not.

  But instead of telling him to scram, or beating the hell out of him like he feared, Valerie said, "Do you want to get out of here?"

  Now it was his turn to stand in silence, and Valerie's turn to punch herself. Fuck, what did she just say that? "That's not what I meant." She tried to save herself, but she wasn't sure if it would work. "Not like that. I mean — fuck. Do you want....What I'm trying to say is this party's boring and neither of us technically have to be here. So, do you want to...."

  "Go hang out somewhere else?"

  "Yeah."

  Awsten smiled. "Sure." Valerie smiled too.

  She held up a hand. "Okay, I have to go let my roommate know I'm leaving."

  Awsten nodded, and she left. Ryan was talking to someone's wife, and she tapped on his shoulder. "One moment, Marge," he said once he saw Valerie. "My roommate needs me."

  The woman — Marge — nodded, and said, "Well, I better go find my husband," before leaving too.

  "Do you think I could seduce her?" Ryan asked Valerie after Marge was out of earshot.

  "She's married, dickhead." Valerie shook her head. "Not the point. I'm gonna head out."

  "Aw, without me? C'mon, Val."

  She nudged his shoulder. "C'mon, you'll be fine without me. Just don't sleep with any married women."

  "Fuck you," he laughed. "Text me when you get home."

  She bit her lip. "Yeah...about that. I'm actually going on—"

  "A date? With who?" Ryan looked around the room. "Did you score a GILF?"

  "A GILF?" She bit her lip again, but this time to hold back a laugh. Ryan rolled his eyes. But before she had to hear him say the words 'Grandpa I'd Like to Fuck' out loud, she held up a hand and started talking again. "Not important. If I need a ride I'll call you."

  "Okay, stay safe, make sure he's not a serial killer before you sleep with him."

  She bit back a laugh again. "I never said it was a date, idiot, that was all you."