huit

CHAPTER EIGHT: THIRD TIMES THE CHARM

∘₊✧────────────✧₊∘

TONIGHT WAS MESSY. AWSTEN WASN'T sure who he had actually gone to the party for. Maybe it was for Lindsey, maybe it was for her dad. Maybe the universe pushed him there to meet Valerie.

  He glanced over at her when he pulled up to a stoplight. She was nearly asleep in the passenger seat, hair still damp from the rain.

  He told her early in the evening that he was here to see his friend. He was so mad at Lindsey at the time that he'd accidentally made it seem like he was closer friends with her brother.

  "Guess he bailed," he had told Valerie. Maybe it was to take the blame of Lin. Maybe if he blamed her brother for her absence, it wouldn't be so bad tomorrow morning when she tried to explain why she didn't show up.

  Thank god they were the only car on the road, because all of a sudden, something occurred to Awsten and he slammed on his breaks. Valerie shot up with a gasp and a spew of curses before asking what his problem was.

  "What's your roommate's name?" he asked.

  "What?"

  "What is your roommate's name?"

  "I—"

  "Is it Ryan?"

  She went quiet. "How did you know that?" So he was going to kill her. God, she'd actually had a great time tonight, of course it had to end in her murder.

  "I'm friends with Lindsey."

  She let out a silent sigh of relief before his words actually sunk in. "Wait...like...Lindsey? Like—"

  "Like the girl that's in love with Ryan and is too scared to say anything?"

  "Fuck! That's...."

  They were both thinking it, but neither wanted to say it out loud; What if their friends had secretly set them up somehow? What if everything they'd done tonight, dancing at the college party, the diner, dancing in the rain, everything they'd said in his car....What if it meant nothing?

  No, they told themselves. They'd done this, this was all them.

"Have you seen Lady Bird?" Awsten looked over to the girl at his left. Her fingers were laced together, and she was inspecting chipped nail polish.

  She shook her head and admitted, "No, I haven't."

  Awsten and Valerie were sitting outside a grimy old gas station, the name plastered on a blinding sign, though neither of them cared to check what it was called. They were sitting near the side of the building, backs against a brick wall, and Awsten's car parked neatly in a space in front of them.