six

CHAPTER SIX: VALERIE AND AWSTEN STAR IN A ROMANTIC COMEDY

∘₊✧────────────✧₊∘

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" VALERIE groaned as she and Awsten pulled up to the gas station. Or, at least, what was left of the gas station. "God, I haven't been over here in a while, I guess." Sitting in the spot where she thought the gas station to be, was an abandoned building, every window smashed in.

  "You know of any gas stations that aren't in ruins?" Awsten asked.

  She didn't look away from the window; Didn't look away from the broken down gas station. "Shut up."

  "Do you wanna...just...drive? I don't know."

  She shrugged and turned away from her window. "We could. Chances are good we'll find another gas station eventually."

  Awsten pulled back into the street, and Valerie turned the radio up a tick. They drove quietly until she realized which song was playing, and turned it up even more. "Oh, take me to your best friend's house / Marmalade, we're making out, oh yeah"

  "Fuck, I love this song," Awsten said, turning it up even more.

  "Oh, take me to your best friend's house / I loved you then and I love you now," they sang along. Valerie rolled her window down and stuck an arm out as the song continued.

  At every red light, Awsten glanced over at her. The sweatshirt from the trunk was in her lap. He'd thrown the suit jacket in the trunk in a small pile, knowing it was a bad idea, but he didn't seem to care that much for some reason.

  Valerie's hair was still damp from the rain, her bangs laid flat across her forehead. And every so often, a water droplet would run down the side of her face, and she'd wipe it away with the back of her hand.

  Every time her dress sparkled under the light of the setting sun, Awsten noticed it like it was the first time it did that all night. She was so...perfect. Fuck, maybe this was a rom-com.

  "Awsten, pull over," she said, pointing to something out her window. A park, an empty park.

  The second the car stopped, Valerie threw her car door open and jumped out. "C'mon!" she yelled back to him, still sitting in the driver's seat. "Turn the radio up!"

  He did as he was told, and followed her to the field she was standing in. "Take me to your best friend's house / Goin' 'round this roundabout, oh yeah"

  Once he was an arm's length of her, Valerie took him by the hand and spun him around, a big grin on her face. "Oh, take me to your best friend's house / I loved you then and I love you now / (All right, all right, all right)"

  That's when it started raining again. Not pouring, but not sprinkling either, perfectly in between. Like a movie.

  She'd left the sweatshirt in the car, but didn't mind the rainfall. With her grin only growing wider, Valerie opened her arms up and spun around.

  "A-don't leave me tongue-tied (Don't leave me) / Don't wave no goodbye (Don't wave bye)" She and Awsten spun around and danced as the rain continued to fall and the music continued to play. Though it was muted due to the rain hitting his car. "Don't leave me tongue-tied (Don't leave me) / Don't"

  Awsten was sure he was dreaming by now. He was dancing in the rain with a pretty girl. "Don't leave me tongue-tied (Don't leave me) / Don't wave no goodbye (Don't wave bye)"

  Should he kiss her? Would that spoil the night? Fuck, this was so hard. He didn't want to fuck up, but he couldn't figure out what the right choice was here.

  Cars passed the park, lighting Valerie's dress up again, and Awsten felt himself fall for her even harder. "Don't leave me tongue-tied (Don't leave me) / Don't"

  She was having the time of her life right now. With him. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah"

  He decided not to kiss her. Not yet. Instead, as the song played out, Awsten took a step forward and wrapped his arms around her. "Yeah, yeah / Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah"

  Maybe it was because the song was over, maybe it was the rain drowning everything else out, but as Awsten and Valerie stood there, their arms wrapped around each other, they felt once again as if they were the center of the universe. Felt as if they were the only two people on Earth.

  Maybe it was crazy, maybe she was losing her mind, it had only been a single night after all, but Valerie could see herself falling in love with the man before her. And maybe he was losing it too, but Awsten felt the same exact way.

  His arms wrapped around her, hands gripping the fabric of her dress, his face buried in the crook of her neck, eyes shut tight; Her hands in his hair, chin resting on his shoulder, her eyes fluttered shut, and they began to sway back and forth.

  If there was music still playing, neither of them could hear it. The only sounds around them were each other's breathing and their thoughts so loud they were sure they were just talking. Even the sound of rain had died down. But when they broke away from each other's embrace, they learned that was just because it had stopped.

  It was anyone's guess how long they'd been standing there. The sun had fully set by now, and the radio was blasting some song neither of them knew.

  Walking back to the car, Awsten wasn't sure if the goosebumps on his arms were because of the cold or because of the woman he was with.

idk what to say here, but this chapter is so good