The Anniversary

Camille groaned at the sound of her alarm, any day she would be awake and at her shift at Rousseau's however today isn't just any day, it was Kieran's death anniversary. The blonde held back tears at the knowledge that she had spent an entire year without her uncle being here, a whole year of feeling completely and utterly alone. Even when she surrounded herself with her friends, work and studies it could never heal the constant ache in her chest. The bartender sent a text to her boss saying she was sick and that he would need to find someone to fill in for her before switching her phone off completely and rolling out of bed.

She didn't care that she might get calls, truth be told she wanted to visit her uncle's grave and then lock herself away in her apartment,away from the world, for the rest of the day. Cami dragged herself to her bathroom, stripped herself of her pyjamas and stepped under the ice cold water. The human let her hidden tears fall and allowed herself to feel all of the emotions, sobs rocked her body before she turned off the water and wrapped a towel around her. She picked out a pair of bike shorts and an oversized hoodie and tied her hair up in a lose bun.

Once she was changed, she grabbed a bouquet of flowers and headed to the grave yard. The ancient gate creaked, the wind howled painfully and the slight humming of birds surrounded the mourning woman as she collapsed to her knees in front of the grave stone with tears streaming down her face. Her shaking fingers traced the engraved name, memories flashed through her eyes, some good, some bad but all of them left a painful scar to her vulnerable heart. Cami opened her mouth to say something but her voice doesn't seem to be working. The blonde just stayed kneeling in front of her uncle's grave crying her eyes out.

That was until she felt a calloused hand on her shoulder, she didn't need to turn around to know who it was, Klaus. She ignored his presence at first but soon found herself in his strong embrace, with his chin resting on top of her head. Cami didn't try to pull away instead she just buried her head in the crook of his neck and sobbed.

Klaus rubbed circles across her back while whispering soothing words against her hair, the hybrid knew she would be here. He could never forget what day it was even if he tried... he killed this man. The guilt tugged at his heart as the painful cries of the selfless bartender in his arms were echoing in his ears.

"I've got you love, I'm truly sorry after all it was myself who ended his life. You aren't alone, I've got you," He continued to mutter against her temple, he could feel her heavy breathing, her body trembling and the salty tears pouring down her flushed cheeks.

"W-why did it have to be him?" Camille choked out between her uncontrollable sobs, she felt the original hybrid tighten his arms around her. She let out a shaky breath before her lips found his stubble covered cheek.

"Thank you for being here, for being the only person to remember," The blonde whispered weakly.

"You've been through a lot love, it's the least I could do. Besides, what type of patient would I be if I allowed my therapist to spend her tough days alone," Klaus replied with a soft smile that was instantly returned. And just like that the pair stood in the grave yard in each other's arms enjoying the comfort they both felt.

In my darkest times it was you who always gave me comfort.