Chapter Six: Aphrodisiac

"She guessed my favorite
color on her first try.
I didn't even know I
had one until she
shouted out
Yellow."

- All the Bright Places

🐲

The last time Raya visited the Land of Fang was during midsummer, where most of Fang's festivals were held in celebration for their people. Lanterns were hang around the beams of the roofs-- varying from gold, red, and white. People and Dragons were dressed for the occasion as the road swarmed with booths and stalls of souvenirs and exotic food. The revelry usually starts at dusk and ends when the moon is high. It was Fang tradition that in every festival, the event would always end with a dance-- signifying the unification of lands.

It was a merry celebration with all night of symphonies and laughter. Her mind trailed to when she and Namaari skipped the event and ended up sparring under the pale moonlight instead.

Raya grew fond just remembering it.

There are many things she will never get accustomed to, no matter how many times she tarries in Namaari's home.

Fang's Architecture did not fail to impress anyone, Raya included. The travertine and porcelain Kingdom is as sonorous and mobbing as a humming bee's hive. Fang citizens would settle on the fields, children playing near the clear waters. The walls looming like gargantuan trees, the shafts of the retreating sun piercing the candescent marbled exterior that streaked the palace grounds, reflecting an orange glow.

It's more beautiful than she remembers.

Raya then realizes the sudden halt of her animal.

She lost.

Namaari won.

Again.

"Where has the confidence gone?" Namaari laughs as she dismounted on her serlot, nuzzling Nala's ear.

The Fang princess secretly winces, restraining the hiss of pain escaping from her lips. She was doing well hiding it from Raya, but she wonders how long she'll keep the act up.

Raya shrugs from her question, not really caring as Tuk Tuk unfolded himself.

"Got lost admiring the palace. I mean, wow, am I dreaming or is this Maca?" She admits.

Tuk Tuk and Nala were ushered by one of the palace servants to their stables, her companion more than delighted to rest.

Naamari acknowledges it.

"Next time, you might win with your eyes closed. But I'll doubt that. You're a such klutz when you have them opened."

Raya rolls her eyes as she follows the princess inside the palace doors, nodding as soldiers bowed their heads in respect.

The princess raises her arm and takes a sniff of her sleeve and collar. Turning her nose away, she was repulsed by the sudden scent of dirt and sweat clinging to the fabric. It would be rewarding to have her body immersed in a tub of jasmine water.

"I let you win." She retorted and walked passed the throne room.

Her eyes lingered on the halls, the memory of their swords clashing in the depths of her mind. It was no enthusiastic recollection and might be best to leave it in the past, as it should.

"You're distracted." Namaari counters playfully.

"You always want to be on top of everything." She grumbles, huffing.