Chapter Nine: Tortured Sparrows

"What is stronger than
the human heart,
which shatters
over and over
and still lives?"

🐲

The silk was made from the finest web of swindle-spiders found in Spine, weaved by the crafty needleworkers of Tail, and distributed by the hardworking boatmen of Talon all across the lands. The embroidered fabric corrals the aureole of a newly birthed design, as if the gown she wore has not been carefully hidden for years by her father. The Filipiñana forms an elegant V-shape down her chest, it gleams in hues of crimson and gold and tumbles to the floor like a waterfall. It embraces her body, tightly cinched on the curves of her waist, with butterfly sleeves and knitted tribal designs embellished with golden trinkets.

Her hair, which she favors, were in their usual style but looks more vibrant and dives in soft curls behind her. To top all of it, a hefty golden necklace hangs on her neck partnered with a pair of lambent sapphire earrings. 

She swivels and turns on her heels, careful not to trip, and lagardly scours her reflection in the full length mirror. Stupefied.

"Who..." She trails but could not finish her phrase. Raya barely recognizes herself.

"Oh, princess. You look remarkably beautiful!" One of the palace maids behind her praises.

Another one agrees.

"The fairest binibini in all the lands."

"Everyone will turn their heads once you enter the halls, Princess." Diwa chirps, flinging her hands for emphasis.

The Heart heir nearly snorted.

It has been four torturous days and nights with sore limbs, back pains, and migraines. Somehow, studying the proper etiquette she'd missed during the last seven years were too tedious and dreadful for her brain and body to absorb in a short span of time. She had worn heels, while practicing, to the extent that the soles of her feet prickled in pain after removing the monstrosity of a footwear. Her slouches were corrected, however, brutal in her opinion: an impermeable layer of corset wrapped around her body, that a molecule of air had barely entered her nostrils.

She visibly shivers. She was grateful it would all be over soon.

'Just for today, Raya.' She encourages.

"Guests are starting to flood in." Taru observes as she peeks outside the window, glancing down on the cobblestone path.

The skies had retreated to its vibrant rays and had turn sombre. The celebration is about to start in a few minutes and she was waiting for her father to accompany her to the main hall.

"Where is your lover, Princess? Did they promise you a dance later?" Diwa gushes as she secures Raya's hair with a flower ornament, making sure the ends of her tendrils wouldn't bother her face.

Raya tries to mask her blush with a cough, as if it had worked at all. Her handmaids eyed each other knowingly.

"I don't think she has yet."

"Maybe it's a surprise! Or they have something romantic prepared just for the two of you when this is all over." The youngest squeals, a dreamy look on her freckled face.