Chapter Eight

"Welcome back! I made lunch for everyone. I know you all must be hungry." Bennie was the first to give my grandma a hug then grab a sandwich off the platter. "And hello to you, Benjamin."

We all took turns giving her a hug and taking a sandwich. Unlike everyone else, I had a hard time eating what was in front of me. I had a strong loss of appetite and for a moment I felt as if I was going to throw up. My grandma always told me it was a bad idea to keep good news held in. Now was a perfect time to let it all out.

A soft and warm hand slowly rested on my shoulder which made me turn to face Frankie. "Are you okay? You're so quiet and... pale almost."

"I actually have something I want to say." All eyes landed on me except for Bennie's. He was too busy tearing up his sandwich. "My dad is coming over today. He called off work until Monday and then... I'm going to move in with him."

Everyone jumped when the sound of a glass breaking happened right behind us. We turned to see my grandma clinging on to the counter while shards were at her feet. Frankie and Tara ran to help while I was too stunned to even move. Instead of bending down to clean the glass, my grandmother dismissed herself from the entire room. We all sat in silence as her bedroom door closed and pieces of glass were going in the trash.

"What happened?" Bennie asked while staring at Frankie and Tara.

"Yvette is an idiot," Tara threw a shard of glass back on the ground which made Frankie jump back. We all watched her storm out of the kitchen without giving anyone another look.

I knew she didn't want me talking to her so I sat in my seat as still as a statue. Bennie took the honors and went to go calm her down while also taking his plate with him. Frankie on the other hand just stared down at the ground while leaning against the counter.

"You're really going to break her like that? Your grandma has given her life up for you and you're going to give all that up for a guy you've barely known and all the things you do know is complete craziness?" I nodded slowly. "Then we both know that Tara is right. You are an idiot."

"You all can call me whatever you want but I've had this hole in me since I was old enough to know that my grandma was indeed my grandma. Meeting and getting to know my parents is all I could ever hope for."

Frankie took long strides over to me and got down on his knees to be eye to eye with me. "You have one year left of school and then you are an adult who can make any choice you want to. Why do you want to do this now? We were on a streak!"

"You have your parents, Franklin! You have no idea how I feel!" I jumped up from my chair to get as far away from him as possible. "You told me to my face you were going to support me!"

"I was going to support your right decisions! This is wrong!"

I held my hand up to his face so I wouldn't have to see the hurt in his eyes. "You just don't understand." I got up from my seat to go in my room and lock myself away. There was no way I could explain anything to a group of people who were given everything and more.

A few hours went by and I heard someone knocking on my door seconds before opening it. "Yvette?" My grandma said in her soft voice. "I have full custody over you. As far as the state agreed, I'm considered your legal guardian. If I give that up for your father to have then it will have to remain that way until you are eighteen. That's means... you can't come back to stay. Is that what you want?"

I was face first in a tough decision but we both knew my answer. "I have to take chances if I'm ever going to fill this hole in my heart." She simply nodded before getting up to leave me once again.

I've never felt so alone.

"Wow! This place hasn't changed!" The sound of that voice made me spring out of my bed to go greet the man who was standing in front of the front door like he just got back from vacation. "But look who has!" I ran and jumped into his arms hoping this would make up for me being so mad at him. "Yvette. I missed you."

There was sincerity in his eyes and I knew he wasn't lying to me. "I missed you too... Dad." His smile slowly faded and I knew he was in shocked.

"Philip Hill." My grandma's voice called from down the hall. "Haven't you turned into the young man I never thought you'd be." The insult made him frown and I was too embarrassed to look up.

"Nice to see you too Mrs. Walson."

Just before the moment could get bad, it got worse. Tara, Ben, and Frankie came strolling back in the house after obviously having a conversation about how much they hate me. "Uhm, you've met my boyfriend, Frankie?" Philip nodded. "This is my best friend, Tara and my other best friend, Benjamin."

"Hello, sir!" They all scrambled out a greeting. Benjamin even got up to give Philip a hand shake. "I'm Benjamin, but she already told you that, and my friends call me Ben for short. Anyone Yvette loves, I love even more."

Philip grimaced before turning his attention back to me. "I don't think I feel comfortable staying here so I got us a room until we leave Monday. We can spend the entire weekend together as I show you all the places I've went to. Even memories about me in high school." I smiled brightly. "I would also love to hear the stories you have too."

I had to walk past my grandma to get to my bedroom and pack. I was nervous about leaving Philip alone but I didn't have much of a choice. Everyone knew my plan and I had to go through with it.