Chapter Nine

"My friends and I used to go here and just smoke until our brains were fried. It's actually the last place I saw them all together. We celebrated friendship and love, but I couldn't do too much because Elowen was pregnant with..." He looked at me and his face fell from a smile to a flat line. "I was so young when you were born. I regret everyday that I wasn't there to watch you grow. I really did try to change, Yvette. For you mostly."

I couldn't help but admit something since he spent the whole day telling me about him. Tomorrow we'd be off to his house where I'll finish the school year and hopefully feel complete.

"I learned about you through a diary my mom left behind. Some things were good and some were..."

"I wasn't always a good man, Yvette. I'm here now and that's all that matters. Our relationship is what happens when kids have kids. Or an idiot gets a girl like Elowen pregnant."

He started up the truck and drove off from out front of the house with an old treehouse visibly poking out from the backyard. He was my age when he was last in that home. Sometimes I wished I could have been right beside my parents. Living their life with them. I wanted to get a front row ticket to their movie.

"I don't know what happened between you and your mom but I know it had to be confusing because it's confusing to me. I wasn't allowed to see you when she up and left me one day when I was at my worst. I heard she went to college and that she was going to take you and never came back. I guess that man was better than being with you, huh?"

"A man?" I said with a curiosity laced voice. Philip looked at me and his eyes widened. "I never heard about a man."

Philip chuckled. "What? So you have no idea Elowen is married last I heard?" I completely disagreed. "She is! Not proud to say it, but I went to a facility same day she disappeared on me. Got out a couple months later and heard she got married to some guy. Never saw her in town since and your grandma there wouldn't even let me keep a hair on your head. Funny thing is that Elowen was talking about marrying me. Guess a bug hit her ear."

The fact that my mother and father getting together and having a happy life with me was destroyed by some guy and my grandma's will to keep me from my father is what hurt me the worst.

"Yeah! Also, on top of that, I found out your grandma, Veronica, was giving them money to care for you. Also that she never got to see you physically. They sent pictures instead." He scoffed. "Crazy right?!" I nodded as anger took over my body. "Bet you're wondering why I made us check out today instead of tomorrow."

"Not really, why?"

"We're going to my mom's house. You're going to get to meet the family that was forced out of your life. We've always wanted you, Yvette."

I've never been as excited as I was right now. This was the day I would meet the side of the family I've always wanted to know more about. Millions of questions flood my mind. Would they accept me? Do I look presentable? Am I rushing this?

"That'll be amazing." Philip sent me a smile as we drove a couple blocks into a new neighborhood. It wasn't far from my grandma's house which was strange to me. "Didn't know grandma lived so close."

"Close enough that I'd drive Elowen home and not waste a ounce of gas getting back."

My heart pounded in my chest as his smile was blurred out by his childhood house coming to view in the background. The car cranked into park position and Philip jumped out his truck seconds later. "My grandma told me that your-"

"That old woman doesn't know us. She's never wanted to and she's never tried to. Everything that comes out of her mouth is crap. You need to find your own opinion, Yvette."

With hesitance, I got out the car and followed right behind him to the front door. Pretty flowers outlined the porch and there was even a wind chime and bird feeder hanging from a tree. Someone kept this house up all these years.

"It's really beautiful out front," I admitted. "Does grandma Veronica like gardening?"

Philip laughed. "No. But your Aunt Annabelle does."