Chapter Eighteen

Demetri and Sophie sat Nico and Ellie down in their room "We have something we want to discuss with you" Demetri said and they nodded "The time has come for me to turn mummy..." "You mean mummy's going to become like you?" Ellie asked cutting him off "Yes Princess" He replied. "What happens to Ellie whilst mum gets used to being a newborn?" Nico looked worried "Heidi and Jane have offered to help you look after her. Also, Sulpicia and Athenodora will help when Heidi and Jane are on duty" Sophie replied wrapping her arm around him "Will someone be in the room when you turn mum?" "Yes, Nico. Alec has offered to be in here with me to ensure everything goes well" Demetri replied turning to Nico whilst cuddling Ellie on his lap "Mum isn't going anywhere; she will be with us forever" He added "I should think so daddy" Ellie said firmly looking over her shoulder at him "That told you Dem" Sophie chuckled.

Ellie and Nico got Sophie to spend her last few days cooking and baking all of their favourite things, Ellie ensuring that Demetri tasted their creations, chocolate brownies, white chocolate and strawberry cupcakes, lasagne and garlic bread and gingerbread biscuits. Although Ellie was six years old, she was still not aware that he couldn't eat human food without having to deal with it later. "Daddy look I made this one just for you" She handed him a Bat shaped gingerbread biscuit, that had been decorated with black icing "Thank you Princess" He took a bite and smiled "Yummy?" She asked grinning and he nodded "Yes, very yummy" He replied and didn't miss the amused looks on Sophie and Nico's faces. Sophie put the baked goods in containers so they could be enjoyed over the next few days. "Mummy can we still bake once you're a vampire?" "Yes Ellie, but not at first" She replied "Nico mentioned that daddy will keep you away from us for the first few days" Ellie added "It's safer that way as you are human and Nico is half human" Demetri smiled down at Ellie.

Demetri, Sophie and the children had a family day on Sophie's last day as a human. They watched a selection of their favourite films whilst eating snacks. "I'm going to miss you mummy" Ellie said as she cuddled into Sophie "I know hunny, I'm going to miss you too" She kissed Ellie's hair and wrapped her arm around her.

Three days late Sophie wakes up as a newborn, her red eyes taking in her surroundings, she notices the light dust particles in the air, a little spider spinning its web in the top left inside corner of the fireplace. She turns her head towards Demetri's desk and sees him sitting on his desk chair smiling at her "Looks who's finally awake?" She got off the bed to walk towards him but found that she moved rather quickly, Demetri stood and caught her with ease "Careful Soph" He chuckled and he gently led her into the closet "What do you think?" He asked pointing to the mirror, she stood there for a few moments "I-Is that me?" She asked, he chuckled lightly, "Yes, and you are as beautiful as ever mi amore" He kissed her neck and she growled low "Hungry?" She shook her head "Thirsty" She said "Come on, I'll take you downstairs, Heidi bought a few extra tourists in this morning so you'd be able to feed once you woke up" He led her downstairs and told her what to do and watched as she drained both humans quickly. Her method needed work but it wasn't bad for her first time. She was a little messy too but he'd seen worse.

As they make their way to the training room so Demetri could show newborn Sophie off to Felix and the twins, she picks up on a scent, 'lemon and honey' and turns and runs off in that direction. It takes a few seconds before Demetri realises what has happened; she had picked up on Ellie's scent and sets off after her, passing Santiago along the way "Follow me. Now" Santiago nods and follows Demetri. They stop in the doorway of the garden, then Demetri hears "Mummy, what's wrong?" "Grab Ellie" Demetri says to Santiago "Of course" They round the corner and see Sophie crouching ready to pounce at Ellie, Nico doing his best to protect Ellie, despite not being strong enough to take on his 'newborn' mum. "Mum, back off. It's Ellie" Sophie growls at him, Ellie backs away from Nico as he puts his arm behind him making a shooing motion "You're scaring her" Nico says growling just as Demetri tackles her to the ground at the same time Santiago scoops up Ellie into his arms and runs back inside the castle with her "I've got you little one" Santiago whispers in her ear.