chapter six

Megumi placed his hand on her shoulder to reassure her, only to be blown away by her horrid scream, that made the whole room shake.

The girl fell back, gasping for air, almost rolling over the hard wooden floor.

"Yuki, you okay?" Nobara asked from behind her, stopping the movie for a moment, and all eyes were on the pale-faced brunette, "If you can't watch it then we could play the next one." Everyone else nodded quietly in unison, their gaze went from shocked to worried-eyed.

"No, no. I wouldn't want to ruin anyone's fun...but that shit's real scary alright," she sighed, holding onto her blanket for dear life, "just play the movie, I'm going to train myself! How could a sorcerer be scared of ghosts and jumpscares, am I right?" She raised a fist up with pride then laughed with the others, hiding her trembling toes. She loved the idea of horror movies, but she would be the one with the loudest scream in the theater while watching them. It was clear that Megumi noticed too, he was skeptical as those words left her lips.

With a calm voice, he whispered into her ear after the crowd went live again, "If there's a jumpscare, you could hold on to my hand," and he held out his arm towards her, blocking out all the noise from the outside world.

"Hm?" he nudged it towards her again.

 Yuki gladly accepted his hand, then held it tight, her face regaining its natural color.

"I'm counting on you then," she wrapped her hand on his pinky and held his finger dotingly, a pink blush was visible on both of their cheeks. His warmth was flowing from his rough fingers to her cold hands, heating up her palm like a forest fire.

Megumi turned to the other side with his eyebrows twitching to calm himself down, his wet hair pointed downwards and laid flatter than the usual spiky look, water dripping down to his nose and chin, the rolling onto the floor.

The rest of the movie went nicely : a series of (un)fortunate events. Everytime a ghost plunged at the screen or when the sinister soundtrack started playing, she would squeeze his finger tight, and he wouldn't be annoyed or react, but rather just sat there in silence, knowing that the girl next to him felt comfort.  

The room would be filled with little shrieks from Itadori and her, but except for that, it was peaceful, not even the crickets were heard on the other side of those closed doors.

So this is.....this feeling of calmness that he gives me..why does it bring me peace, she asked herself, spacing out from the movie.

Her arms would stiffen and sweat a little over time, I mean, being this close to someone you like, she would have screamed at the spot, but of course, her mind brought her back to her senses. 

This must be what it feels like to have the butterflies, like Nobara told me. 

The last spirit aimed for the screen, and while the pinked-haired and her let out this weirdly sounding shriek, this time, she was a thousand times less horrified. Yuki let out a breath of relief, and when she turned to her side to check on him, their lonely eyes met for a second's time, then quickly passed through each other.

His face was relaxed, and he had this gaze that felt that it had been on her for ages.

Was he, staring at me..just now?

The second movie soon started, and everyone got their refill of snacks. Sitting back in their respected spots, it was now a little after midnight, some of them already yawning. It was a romance movie, a genre which wasn't her favorite, since she just felt bad for herself after the usual iconic kiss scene, every single time.