chapter four ​1⁄2 : special ૮₍˶ᵔ ᵕ ᵔ˶₎ა

"It's such a shame that he's not here for your birthday, isn't it, Yukki?" Nobara asked, leaning on her wooden door, with her heels tilting on the ripped off wall.

The girl walked into the scene holding tight to some gifts and bags, with streamers hanging out from the inside and glitter on her shoes and ankles. She beared no response, just leaving the bags beside her dress shoes.

"Come on, don't feel down, it's your birthday after all!" she attempted to cheer Yuki up, "I don't like this look on you."

"Well, I'm disappointed to some extent.." the girl sighed, resting her head on the cold wall, their conversation echoing throughout the dorm's corridor, "But it can't be helped, he's the definition of unpredictable, Nobara, that Fushiguro!" She kicked a random bottle that was laying on the floor out of anger and rubbed her eyes, sniffling and struggling from a weak cough.

"Yu..ki?"

Her smile resurfaced, all of the sudden, and she looked straight turning completely 180° from her emotions before, "Just kidding...I'm not feeling down of course, just had the best day ever!"

That's right, they just had a massive celebration for the girl's birthday. All the second years and the pink-haired boy and the short-haired girl and teachers and even the Kyoto students - calling her from Kyoto via video call, of course - all gathered for this spectacular event.

The sweetest sixteenth, she believed.

Streamers were everywhere, gifts were given, and they all smiled from ear to ear.

The floors and ceilings were filled with colorful balloons and presents, like the cursed weapon Maki gifted her, a long spear with a ribbon on top.

Her birthday cake was custom-made by her very own teacher, Gojo Satoru, and surprisingly looked alright. It was a pink-based cake with clumsy hearts all over and stick-people with the staff and her friends' faces on them, all holding hands with her in the middle like a solar system. At least it did on the outside, because no words could explain the tarnation that was the cake's jam filling with fruit pieces.

But of course, Mr Unpredictable had to be absent on my birthday.., Yuki thought as she made a wish before the candle-lit cake. She closed her eyes and whispered something to herself, then blew hard on the light, dimming the room as it sunk into a soft laughter.

The crowd was full, but the presence of that certain someone was missing, not that she felt horrid, it was simply a disappointment.

"You scared me! Fuck off Yuki-" the ginger cried, then grabbed the bags on the floor and opened the other's dorm room, with a click of the key, the door swinged opened to the usual, messy but clean room of Chihara Yuki. She lifted her head and pointed towards the room, and the two entered with their baggage on one hand, and more on the other.

"This one has to be my favorite," the brunette stated, looking at her bracelet on her wrist with adore. It had blue rhinestones attached and for safety measures, an onigiri charm.

"Is that...Inumaki-senpai's gift? Damn, you're lucky, huh, he's extra soft when it comes to you," Nobara popped her head over behind her shoulder and looked closely, while she nodded and grinned, their faces reflected on the bracelet.

After a while of sitting and shit-talking about all the nonsense in the world, Yuki's eyes were adverted and something caught attention to her almond eyes.

"Uhm, Wait, what's that?" she furrowed her eyebrows and squinted her eyes. A rather large black box was sitting on her bed with a red ribbon on it, a note was also stuck to its lid, 'Open Me!", it said. There was no dust on the box, which meant that it was fairly new, and the smell that wandered off it was attracting her nostrils.

"A present?" suggested the ginger, scrolling on her phone screen and checking for notifications.

"Has it always been here? The box looks new for sure. Though no one I remember gave it to me today though," she examined the box. Knocking on it and placing her ear outside, she earned a weird gaze from the ginger.

"I-It's your room....aren't you supposed to know...Yuki," she stuttered, "Or maybe it's from that Todo-senpai guy from the exchange event, right? That buff dude that calls Itadori brother or something."

"Todo-senpai? Oh, I mean, he's nice, and I do remember him saying over facetime that he'll send me a gift but..I didn't expect it to be so soon. The shipping company hates us."

"Just open it quickly~, I'm curious too."

She nodded and turned to the box.

Yuki untied the ribbon and put the lid down on her bed sheet, there was another note on top of some parchment paper that seemed to be covering the real present. Written in scrambled letters and a weird colored ink, Red's your favorite color, right?

Inside was a fresh bouquet of roses and sweet treats like cookies and chocolate, and also, pastries, from that one shop of hers, West of Harajuku. It had strawberries sticking out from its pockets, it was the scent she was looking for.

"Red? Everything from the sweets to the flowers, and yeah..that's my favorite color!" she shrieked, picking up each item and then hugging them tight. "Would Todo-senpai be this nice, I mean, doesn't he have Takeda-chan though..?", she wondered, placing her fingers on her upper lip.

"Eh? How come you've never told me that before! Red, I always thought it was blue or something.." the ginger shouted out, looking at the box. Her eyes sparkled and her face pinked, "These are all quality stuff, damn the birthday girl's real lucky."

"Now that you've mentioned it, I don't think I've told anyone about that before..." she mumbled and nervously laughed it away, "Maybe that person's just being nice?"

Well, except for him..I've only told him about my favorite color...does that mean...could it be?

Her mouth widened and she placed her palm over it, her face stretched by the shock.

He's away, then..when?

Also, he...gifted me all of this...for my birthday?

Does that mean...no...it can't be.

I bet my face is all red now.

And the pastry, it had to be him.

Thoughts were making whirlpools in her mind, and the ginger awoke her from the muddled ideologies and fantasies.

"Eh, must be a coincidence then, but I do wonder who it is though," Nobara said, staring deeply at the roses, each petal was fresh, rosy, and had a sweet fragrance.

"Yeah," she smiled, glancing out at the day's sky, "yeah, I wonder who..."

to be continued in the next special.....

*author's note

if you don't get it, it's megumi's gift lmaooo 😭

- miu