01| M E E T I N G H I M

song: nasty by ariana grande

"IT'S YOUR 19TH BIRTHDAY, KiKi

"IT'S YOUR 19TH BIRTHDAY, KiKi. You have to come out with us," Denasia Greene exclaimed, flaunting her tight bodycon dress. Chiara shook her head, diving back into her Pride and Prejudice.

The small girl drowned in the articulate words of Jane Austen, her slow breaths fogging her dirty, thick-rimmed glasses. Her silver eyes soaked in every word, falling deeper into the feminist novel. Across the room, Haley Liu squinted her obsidian eyes lined with dark kohl as she ransacked Chiara's closet.

"You dress like a freaking nun," Haley noted, rifting through the rows of hanged sweaters and jeans, then turning to the dirty sneakers and boots, "Like where are your Fashion Nova outfits or Princess Polly or-"

Chiara's thick brows furrowed in genuine confusion, "What is f-fashion n-nova?"

At her statement, Denasia and Haley's mouths dropped open in shock. The girl on the bed shrugged off her best friends' surprise and went back to her novel, lengthy lashes lowering at the words.

"You have a phone!" Haley exclaimed, gesturing to the sleek iPhone charging on Chiara's nightstand that she had only picked up once the entire day.

Chiara shrugged, pulling the ends of her sweater over her fingers, "I d-don't n-need it,"

In case you were wondering, the quaint girl had a speech problem of stuttering. When she was really young, her parents just assumed that she was shy, and that was the reason she did not talk in front of people. Until she did not talk at all. She began to talk when she was three, and when she did you could barely hear her words because of how they seemed to stumble over each other. Her parents took her to a speech therapist, and that helped with her speech. 

However, in front of strangers, she barely talked at all. When she moved to Toronto, it took her two years to feel comfortable enough to talk in class. Then, another two years to open up to her best friends, Haley and Denasia, about her parents' deaths. Then, another two years to participate in clubs after school, talking to people.

"Instead of clothes, shawty got books," Denasia gestured to the stocked wall of books with a long acrylic nail, her glowing dark skin beautifully contrasting against her brown satin dress. Chiara thought, as always, she looked stunning. In stark contrast, Chiara wore a frumpy sweater and her thick, unruly hair was thrown up in her signature bun.

"I really d-don't w-ant to g-go," Chiara stammered, her anxiety threatening to break free at the thought of interacting with strangers.

Haley rolled her obsidian eyes, scoffed and crossed her arms over her graphic crop top, "I'll tell Tete,"

Chiara shrugged, "G-go ahead. She will t-tell you the s-same thing,"

Raising a brow, the Hong Kong native scoffed once more and stormed out of the room, her heavy footsteps hitting the hardwood stairs. The sound of faint murmurs could be heard and moments later, the sound of Jadati's soft cane followed.