10,008

I'm finally starting to see some light. We've been wandering through the dark for a while, but it seems we're finally making some progress. Is this the way out? It can't be that easy, can it? We walk through the light, coming out on the other side of the tunnel.

It's another train station, with a raised platform in the middle of it. That ringing sound is coming from here, up on that platform. We won't be able to get up just by jumping, we're too far down. Mystery Girl looks at me before holding her hands out, inviting me to step on onto them to boost up, so I do just that. She boosts me up to the main platform, and I quickly turn back and lift her up onto it after me.

The station is a huge dome. Through the transparent roof, I can tell we're ways underwater. To my right is an odd device. The ringing is coming from it, but I don't recognize what it is at all. Maybe it's old. Me and Mystery girl turn to face each other, sharing a look of uneasiness.

Guess there's nothing to gain from standing around. I start to make my way to the machine, the ringing growing louder and louder. I reach out to touch it, but- I'm interrupted by the sound of it booting up.

"[Searching for user ID...]"

"User 10,006 and 10,007 confirmed."

User? 10,006 and 10,007? What does it-

My thoughts are cut out by it's voice again; "Greetings, users 10,006 and 10,007. Your current location is: Deepsea Metro Central Station. My primary function is to facilitate your journey to the Promised Land. Pleased to make your acquaintances."

What is it on about? I don't trust this at all.

It whirrs again, before talking in an entirely new accent.

"Yo yo, homeslice! We're off to chill in the promised land, fo' sho!"

Go back.

Despite my wishes, it goes on; "I'm 'boutta shed some major facts on your [SLANG_NOT_FOUND], so best listen up! Y'all been spending your lives in the dark, yo, unaware of the brighter and better livelihood at the promised land! It's all that and a bag of chips, dawg!"

It keeps bringing up a place called the "promised land." Is that the way out of this... Deepsea Metro? That's what they called it, at least.

"Well, start packing your bags, fools... Not! Trolled! Haha! Only the freshest of the fresh can even dare [ERR] the promised land, yo! There's been exactly 10,005 applicants before y'all, so the chick is 10,006, and you'll be 10,007, home skillet!"

10,006 and 10,007. What a mouthful...

The device spits out two cards, followed by a large device with an analog stick in the middle of it. It speaks up again;

"Take these CQ cards and yo CQ-80 device, fools! Don't lose them, or else you'll [ERROR]."

I pick up my card. Sure enough, it's got the number "10,007" on one side, along with more general info about me. On the other side is a decal of what looks to be a blue sea cucumber. "10,006" picks up her card after me, along with what I'm assuming the CQ-80 is.

The machine speaks up for a final time. "Now, wait for the trainalain, foolz! T-Fone out, dawg!"

The machine's voice cuts out, leaving us in stunned silence.

10,007's my new name for the time being... At least, until I can remember my actual name. I turn to 10,006, before speaking;

"Nice- To meet you, 10,006. I guess-"

She looks up at me, before giving an awkward smile and responding.

"Please. That's such a mouthful, just 6 works way better. And, uh, good to meet you too? You ready to go- 'Find the promised land?'"

No. I'm not ready. But I can't say that- I don't trust this telephone in the slightest, but she looks just fine with it. 10,000- No, 6... Are you sure we should be looking for this?

But, then again... Do we have any other choice?

I can hear the faint whistle of a train horn in the distance.