Subway

The train I heard screeches to a halt at our station. The doors swing open, and from just looking inside, it doesn't look pretty. Yellow caution tapes lines some of the windows and the train itself looks like it'll fall apart at a moment's notice. I can see some other... Creatures in the cart. They're not like anything I've ever seen. I turn to look at 6 again, but she's already making her way inside the cart.

We're really doing this. I step in after her, and the door closes behind us. The whole train shakes for a moment before starting to head off away from the station. We go through the tunnel, appearing on the other side of it...

It almost looks like we're riding through nothingness, but I can tell we're underwater. 6 seems to have taken a liking to the train, as she's already sat down and gotten comfy. How can she be so carefree about all this? The automatic doors leading to the cart in front of us opens, but nobody seems to be there...

Until I look down. There sits a tiny blue sea slug, wearing a tiny conductor's hat. They're adorable! They slowly make their way over to us, before raising their head.

"Good evening. Test subjects, I'm assuming. I'll cut to the chase- Kamabo corporation has set up a series of testing chambers connected by the Deepsea Metro. Your jobs are simple. Navigate those test chambers and complete them all to collect 4 "thangs". They're the key to finding the Promised Land. Your CQ-80 will help you. Any questions?"

...

"Good."

They turn around and stroll back the way they came. They must have had to say this to a lot of other people. But our CQ-80 helping us...? What does he mean by that? I take out the device to give it a good look around.

After a bit of time, I notice a small button next to the joystick. After pressing it, it displays a hologram screen with.. Something. There's an icon for the central station, labelled in Octarian, and a yellow line leading to a circle above the icon. The yellow line extends outwards.

What is this? It's bizarre. I move the joystick, the screen moving along with it to the open circle, a new name for the locale showing up. "Fake Plastic station." That must be the first chamber, and in that case-

This is a map! But it's an empty one at the moment... Guess I'll have to explore more to fill it out entirely. Well, I guess we should start. I set our course for the first test, before sitting down next to 6. I wish I could be as calm as she is. We've got some time to kill before we arrive, so I try to make sense of what's happening. I still have so many questions...

Who brought us here? What are we "testing" for? What in the world is the Promised Land? Can we even trust that machine? That's all.. So infuriating. I want to know. It feels like I'm being withheld information, and my memories being gone isn't helping...

The train starts grinding to a halt, the doors opening. We're here. The little sea slug shuffles out the doors. Guess that's our cue as well. I tap against 6, letting her know we've arrived, before getting up and walking out the doors.