Mortal Coil

A/N: This chapter's picture was drawn by antercold on Tumblr

~~~

"Seriously, is the knife at this point really necessary? I'm right here, you already got me," you said in a pathetic attempt to diffuse your nerves while walking straight ahead with Spinner close behind you. The back of his head had begun to change to a hideous color from his blood mixing into his light purple strands of hair. You still hadn't apologized for essentially causing him to slam backwards into the wall on the way over. He merely grunted painfully in response.

While being escorted down a dreary corridor, knife to your back, you overheard a conversation taking place nearby – and judging by their venomous, forbidding tone - it sounded incredibly heated.

"The plan was for tomorrow, at the factory on the coast. Not in the middle of the damn city!"

That... that voice...!

The familiarity of that voice was striking, but at the same time, it was just so... intimidating. Their hostile tone demanded authority.

It couldn't have been him.

Spinner then urged you to the next room, not granting you the chance to confirm your suspicions.

"Everything I do, I do for the League, Dabi," Hawks felt obligated to remind his supposed ally. Telling by the blade that was pressed up against the villain's neck moments before, their trust in each other was already shaky, especially after the incident with you. But after the Nomu attack that day, their partnership was on a whole new level of wariness.

"I hope you're not expecting to meet the boss so soon after this," Dabi said coldly. "In fact, I'll go ahead and say I don't give a damn. We'll be in contact again, Hawks-" Dabi raised his phone, receiving an alert from Spinner. His discolored face perked up grotesquely as he smirked at the simple message.

"Hm, change of plans. Clearly, we've had our share of disagreements, so how about this," Dabi offered dryly, shoving his phone back into his coat pocket. "I wasn't arranging plans to have you meet the others so soon, but hell, seeing how you already dipped your toes in the water with Compress, might as well take the dive, right?" he concluded with a stiff yet inviting shrug.

Hawks studied Dabi's unusual body language and the implications behind his words carefully. Whatever that text message was, he needed to find out.

"Your premature meet-and-greet with Compress was a mistake, but I'm willing to let that slide – if you consider this. Suppose that we have a brand-new recruit next door – and not that mousy girl you couldn't be bothered to fetch for us, either."

Dabi paused, letting his jabbing remark sink in as Hawks' eyes squinted spitefully in response.

"Then suppose that they're being led on a tour of sorts as we speak. Don't you think it's only fair to give a proper introduction?"

Devious, baggy eyes stared down Hawks' equally vexed ones before his raspy voice added, "So, let's suppose that what I'm telling you is the truth. Regard this as a trust building exercise. Really seal the deal between you and the League."

Hawks internally assessed his options. If Dabi was telling the truth, then Hawks didn't want to drag another innocent person into this mess of an organization, but he needed to do whatever means necessary to earn the trust of this damned villain and, by extension, the League. On the other hand, if he was lying, then that meant-

"Or don't," Dabi added frigidly. "I don't find it important, really."

"Since I'll be a part of the club soon, it makes sense to join the rest of our social circle." Hawks shrugged, feigning compliance. His relaxed demeanor was short lived, as frighteningly sharp eyes narrowed vehemently at the villain – his intense glare challenging Dabi's. "Keep in mind, Dabi," his low tone warned. "If you go back on your word with this, then suppose that being a compulsive liar will be the least of your problems."