Who is Sri Radharani ?

Krishna means "all-attractive", someone who is supremely beautiful enough to attract everybody. However Srimati Radharani is so great that She attracts Krishna .

tapta-kanchana-gaurangi
radhe vrindavaneshvari
vrishabhanu-sute devi
pranamami hari-priye

Srimati Radharani, I offer my respects to You whose bodily complexion is like molten gold. O Goddess, You are the queen of Vrindavana. You are the daughter of King Vrishabhanu, and are very dear to Lord Krishna.

***

29th August 2017 – is the appearance day of Srimati Radharani, the Queen of Vrindavan. On this auspicious day, for the pleasure of Guru and Krishna, let us try to understand about the dear most and top most devotee of Sri Krishna. Let us understand who is Srimati Radha Rani? What is her relation with Sri Krishna? What role does Srimati Radha Rani have in a Vaishnava's spiritual life?

Ever since we have heard about stories of Sri Sri Radha and Krishna, we form some understanding about these two personalities. In most of the cases our understandings are not based on Scriptures or Maha-Bhagavata devotee, rather these are based on TV Serials or mental speculations (self as well as other non-devotees).

Srila Prabhupad has mentioned in his commentaries that, "The two transcendentalists Radha and Krishna are a puzzle to materialists.". Understanding Krishna in itself is a great herculean task for His devotees what to speak about Srimati Radharani, His internal potency. The subject matter of Srimati Radharani is extremely confidential. Hence Vedas also do not mention much about Srimati Radharani. That is why Lord Sri Krishna himself appeared as Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu to explain the vastness and greatness of Srimati Radharani.

Who is Srimati Radharani?

Srimati Radharani and Sri Krishna are non different from one another, they are one soul in two bodies, they have taken different forms to enjoy the mellows of pastimes. Just like fire and heat are one yet different. Both are in-separable from each other and compliment each other.

It is revealed in Vedic Scriptures, that once the Lord of Universes, The Supreme Personality of Godhead – Sri Krishna, by whose mere desire everything happens, once had a desire to enjoy. As soon as this desire came to his mind, immediately from His left side appeared beautiful Radharani. Therefore, Radharani is non different from Krishna, in the sense that, She is His internal Potency (or energy).

In the Vedanta-sutras (1.1.12) the Absolute Truth is described as anandamaya, always in the pleasure potency. When we want ananda, pleasure or happiness, we cannot have it alone. For ananda there must be companion. So because Krishna , the Absolute Truth, is anandamaya, He has expanded himself into many: eko bahu syam. This is the primary reason for our existence. We all are part and parcel of Krishna and are meant to give pleasure to Krishna.

The chief pleasure potency is Srimati Radharani.

It is said in Sri Caitanya – Caritamrita, Adi Lila, 4.96 – 97

rādhā — pūrṇa-śakti, kṛṣṇa — pūrṇa-śaktimān
dui vastu bheda nāi, śāstra-paramāṇa

Sri Radha is the full power, and Lord Krishna is the possessor of full power. The two are not different, as evidenced by the revealed scriptures.

mṛgamada, tāra gandha — yaiche aviccheda
agni, jvālāte — yaiche kabhu nāhi bheda

They are indeed the same, just as musk and its scent are inseparable, or as fire and its heat are nondifferent.