CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"Are you sure it's going to fit?"

Aaliyah waited impatiently as Samantha unzipped the garment bag and peeled away the enclosing plastic from the dry cleaners.

"I think so. We're around the same cup size," Samantha replied.

Aaliyah laughed a little as she held a modest arm around her breasts, which had always seemed a little too full for her petite frame. She stood in the guestroom in her underwear as Samantha unveiled the slinky black material.

Aaliyah pulled the dress over her head and tugged it down over her hips before smoothing the fabric into place. She slipped on the shoes and fastened the straps, shifting her weight experimentally as she got used to the added height the heels gave her. Once she clipped the silver dangle earrings on, she looked in the mirror, bracing herself for the transformation.

She was pleasantly surprised to see that the dress fit her just as well as the day she bought it. The black material clung to her like a second skin, accentuating her generous curves and slender waist. The front was cut in a V, showing enough cleavage to be alluring, but not trashy. The back was simple yet elegant, cutting straight across and covering everything just below the armpit. Thin black straps kept the garment on her shoulders and the skirt's hem ended at mid-thigh. Her long, creamy legs looked even longer when wearing the heeled shoes.

Aaliyah turned to the side, and then to the back and peeked over her shoulder, trying to see herself from all angles. Although she knew she had a lithe body that she worked hard to maintain, this particular outfit made her look even better. She just hoped that at least Jason would appreciate it. For some reason, she couldn't help but feel like a silly young girl meeting her date for prom.

Samantha stepped beside her, almost a head taller and looking as vibrant and gorgeous as ever.

A few seconds later, Jason's silhouette filled the doorway. Her breath caught as she sized him up. The blue in his eyes glowed against the stark black and white of his perfectly tailored tuxedo. She watched his reflection as he walked slowly toward her, drinking her in from the back.

"Jason!" Samantha beamed, giving Jason the once-over. "You look so cute!"

"I was kinda going for strikingly handsome," he said as he adjusted his tie. "But I guess cute will have to suffice."

The two women giggled.

"Anyway," Jason said. "Mom wanted me to tell you ladies that people are starting to show up, so come out when you're ready."

Samantha clapped excitedly and briefly excused herself, leaving the two of them alone momentarily.

"Hi," she said, doing her best to disguise her anxiety.

Jason's smile deepened. "I want to say something charming and clever about how great you look, but all I can think is 'wow.'"

"'Wow works," she said, offering a shy smile. "And thank you."

"You seem a bit nervous?"

She shrugged. "Maybe a little. I won't know most of the people."

"You will soon. They're mostly my parents' friends from when I was growing up. They'll love you and your amazing pastries."

"Thanks, Jason."

Her eyes lighted on a square black velvet box in his hands. She tried to ignore it and focused on finishing getting ready.

"This is for you," Jason said, leaning his hip against the dresser on the other end of the room.

Her eyes widened in surprise. "That?" She pointed to the box.